PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to see some bad paintwork?

takkychan381
09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
So about 3 weeks ago I had my 2 front doors and rear drivers side quarter repainted to fix some bad rock chips and deep scratches in the bedside. Well this is the result:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/TakkyChan_112/fml.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/TakkyChan_112/erggggFML.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/TakkyChan_112/banginthehead.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll93/TakkyChan_112/fml2.jpg

He told me it is impossible for anyone to match the factory paint color. I find it hard to believe that he couldn't get a little closer than this.

I know it is dirty, and the swirls are horrific, but i just got done claying overspray off with a medium clay. I have a big AG order on the way though.

What would you do if this happened to you?

RoadRageDetail
09-04-2012, 11:15 PM
It's called a "bench match" where a painter adjusts the original formula to match aged paint.

Any painter with a sliver of pride in their work could have done better. I wouldn't accept it.

Darvetis
09-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Demand that he redo it correctly, and if he refuses, threaten him with legal action in small claims court....

DealerDetailer
09-04-2012, 11:41 PM
You said you got the 2 driverside doors and the quarter panel painted? If so a good painter should have blended the front fender panel alond with the cab door in with the new paint job. It doesn't look like he did so. Does the front passenger door look the same?

I would for sure have them repaint and blend the work. Do you have the service work sheet? It would state what was done and a "blend" should be listed on there.

Also was this self-pay or through insurance? If through in insurance contact them about the work and complain.

It's called a "bench match" where a painter adjusts the original formula to match aged paint.

Any painter with a sliver of pride in their work could have done better. I wouldn't accept it.

:iagree:. Of the three painters I use to work with, only two truly would product solid work constantly. Many times, going beyond what they where required to do or needed to by insurance.

msagustin
09-05-2012, 12:22 AM
+1 on all the comments. It needs to be redone and blended.
I've had my plastic bumpers done to the point they match the body perfectly as well as other panels in the past.
Most factory/oem painted bumpers are either a shade light or dark.
So it can be done.

Veloc
09-05-2012, 12:36 AM
That is some pretty bad workmanship there. You should go and ask for a refund or repaint. Sometime this week I'll probably post some shitty paint work of my own experience.

PERFECTIONPLUS
09-05-2012, 05:00 AM
That's really bad paintwork...I've worked as a painter/helper for over 10 years. You definitely need to have that repainted, as stated prior there would have been some blending involved. As far as color matching, if he was a painter worth his salt that wouldn't of left looking that horrible. If it was through your insurance , complain to them and refuse to take your truck back to that shop. If you paid for it out if pocket......well id be really pissed. Sorry you ran into into a hack.

FUNX650
09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I know it is dirty, and the swirls are horrific, but i just got done claying overspray off with a medium clay.

What would you do if this happened to you?

First of all:
I would have never driven it off that "painter's" lot until it was done to my liking...
...Documented with a bunch of photos.

Secondly:
OOOPS! You started touching it already (Claying).

Now:
Can you guess where some of the "blame-game" is headed?

Soon:
Hope your AGO order will assist in supplanting the 'damage'.

:)

Bob

BlkHemiLTD
09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
soooo you didnt ask for the brownish blackish option....

The Moose
09-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Yikes that looks bad. My dad has the same truck in the same color and the paint is GREAT. dont let this lazy guy ruin what was/is a great looking truck with his bad work.

Contact your insurance company if you used them.

Did you have to sign paperwork to get the truck back ?

oldmodman
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Barf!

I have done better work and I'm not even a trained painter.
And that's an easy color to match. It doesn't even look like he ATTEMPTED to blend the paint in. Just got it "close" and sprayed the doors.

I had my (at the time) 17 year old metallic green Explorer's front door replaced. When I got it back I couldn't even tell it had been worked on. The paint was perfectly blended, from about the middle of the front fender all the way back to the last third of the rear door. And the entire side of the car was re cleared. As a matter of fact I'm still pissed at myself for not having the guy do the entire car. He said to do the whole rest of the car would only be an additional $600.00
It sure would have been worth it because I am now showing clearcoat failure on the roof and hood.:eek::cry::mad:

Beavis
09-05-2012, 05:51 PM
If so a good painter should have blended the front fender panel alond with the cab door in with the new paint job. It doesn't look like he did so. Does the front passenger door look the same?

I would for sure have them repaint and blend the work. Do you have the service work sheet? It would state what was done and a "blend" should be listed on there.

:iagree:

I had painted cars for about 5 years and I would never have tried to panel paint any color.. Just to help me out and also to make it look better for the customer.. If I was that painter I would not have even been happy with my work..

Veloc
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Here, my experience of rubbish paint job. At least mine is white..
<http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/55017-bad-repaint-why-detail-protect-your-original-paint.html#post734258>

SuperGlide
09-05-2012, 09:49 PM
As far as price were they at the higher end or lower
Side of things? One thing I learned is never skimp
On a painter you usually get what you pay for.