PDA

View Full Version : Idea for homemade water deionizer

Divine Details
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I've been doing some research on di water. I came across a guy on ebay trying to sell a homemade di system. Its basically a 3ft 3" PVC pipe with hose connects on either end. My idea is to use that design and put the cr spotless resin in it.
Any opinions or improvement?

Divine Details
09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I'll try to get a pic up of the one I saw later

octane
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I built my own, with a couple (3) 2.5 by 10 inch water filter housings, 2 refillable di resin cartridges, and a 5 micron filter. works great and if you look on the web, you can find info on how to recharge the di resin with Lye and Muriatic acid, a lot cheaper than buying di resin. only problem with my system is that with 60ppm water (which is pretty good), I do about 10 cars before needing to recharge the di resin, and I only get 1 gpm flow. But that is all I need to rinse. in the pic you can see I also added an inline tds meter which helps me monitor the water quality. total cost was around 100$.

Setec Astronomy
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I've been doing some research on di water. I came across a guy on ebay trying to sell a homemade di system. Its basically a 3ft 3" PVC pipe with hose connects on either end. My idea is to use that design and put the cr spotless resin in it.
Any opinions or improvement?

You're going to flush the resin right out.

Divine Details
09-04-2012, 09:23 PM
You're going to flush the resin right out.

Yeah that what was thinking when i saw this on ebay there must be some kind of mesh holding it in or something

Divine Details
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I built my own, with a couple (3) 2.5 by 10 inch water filter housings, 2 refillable di resin cartridges, and a 5 micron filter. works great and if you look on the web, you can find info on how to recharge the di resin with Lye and Muriatic acid, a lot cheaper than buying di resin. only problem with my system is that with 60ppm water (which is pretty good), I do about 10 cars before needing to recharge the di resin, and I only get 1 gpm flow. But that is all I need to rinse. in the pic you can see I also added an inline tds meter which helps me monitor the water quality. total cost was around 100$.

thanks i think thats how im going to do mine. just cant bring myself to pay $200-300 for one.

Divine Details
09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
would runninng a water softener before the di units prolong the life of the di resin?

Setec Astronomy
09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
would runninng a water softener before the di units prolong the life of the di resin?

No, water softening is an ion-exchange process, it has the same number of ions before and after.