PDA

View Full Version : Surface Contaminates?

Pages : [1] 2

720eyes
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
This past weekend I did a detail on the paint of my car.
Wash (CC Citrus with some Dawn mixed in)
dry
Clay (Maguires)
Then I used 4 Star Paint cleaner, applied using PC with LC blue pad. Using my fingers the paint felt smooth as I would expect it to. then for my first time I used a plastic bad to feel the paint. I was amazed the amount of "bumps" I was feeling on the paint. My question is did I not get all the contaminates off the paint during claying? Or do I need to do a more agressive polish to remove what I felt?
After the cleaner step I used 4 Star UPP.
The 4 Star UPP is a nice product. Easy on easy off.

Norm

:props:

cleanmycorolla
09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
You might need some Iron x or some kind of chemical to remove some stuff the clay wont get off.

720eyes
09-04-2012, 02:06 PM
You might need some Iron x or some kind of chemical to remove some stuff the clay wont get off.

I was wondering the same thing.

ReflectiveAuto
09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Get Nanoskin Auto scrubber and forget about ever using a clay bar ever again. Ifs much faster and does the job 10000% better. I will never use a clay bar again.

720eyes
09-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Get Nanoskin Auto scrubber and forget about ever using a clay bar ever again. Ifs much faster and does the job 10000% better. I will never use a clay bar again.
I have spent too much this year on detail stuff, I will get that next year.

rider9195
09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I would re clay the paint and really take your time with it. Sometimes you'll be surprised by the fact that the second time around helps alot.

Then when using the 4 Star Paint Cleaner, use a white polishing pad that has some polishing ability and will smooth out the surface of the paint. A blue pad has no cut to it and is meant for applying sealants and waxes.

ReflectiveAuto
09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I got mine for only $25 and a free small bottle of the Glide lube.

ReflectiveAuto
09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I would re clay the paint and really take your time with it. Sometimes you'll be surprised by the fact that the second time around helps alot.

Then when using the 4 Star Paint Cleaner, use a white polishing pad that has some polishing ability and will smooth out the surface of the paint. A blue pad has no cut to it and is meant for applying sealants and waxes.

Why clay a car twice when you can do it once and cut your time in 1/2 or even more and get better results? Even as much love to detail rides my time is very important to me.

rider9195
09-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Why clay a car twice when you can do it once and cut your time in 1/2 or even more and get better results? Even as much love to detail rides my time is very important to me.

It won't take that long to do a section twice.

Simply spray lube on panel, rub clay over the surface until you get that smooth feeling of the clay gliding over the surface. Wipe off the residue and then check results. Redo if needed.

If I was doing a lot of cars, I would probably pick up the Nanoskin Scrubber or something similar. But doing a car a day, this process doesn't slow me down really.

Vegas Transplant
09-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I've never had a "bump free" baggie after result.
Clay simply cannot remove all bonded contaminates, IMO.

AutowerxDetailing
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Iron-X is my favorite detailing product of all time. Using it will provide you with the following benefits:

- Your clay will last longer as there will be less iron deposits to remove while claying.
- Claying will not take as much time since Iron-X will do most of the work for you.
- You will be able to easily see how much contamination is on the vehicle by the way Iron-X reacts to dissolve everything away.
- Your paint will be cleaned deeper than what clay can reach and thus be in better overall health after using Iron-X compared to just using detailing clay.

720eyes
09-05-2012, 10:22 AM

To everyone is this a true statement??

ReflectiveAuto
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM

I would agree with that statement..The claybar is on its way out.

oldmodman
09-05-2012, 03:54 PM

It depends.

Ever since iron-X came out I have changed the way I "do" a car.
First I wash it. Any wash will do.
Then Iron-X.
Then I clay with a mild clay. Back before Iron-X I frequently had to use an aggressive clay. Which guaranteed that I would have to correct the paint.
Now, with an iron-X and mild clay combo sometimes no correction is required. Not often, but sometimes.

After both treatments I am usually assured of having an absolutely smooth surface on which to start a correction.

When I use up the last of my clay I will be getting that new Nanoskin towel.

primo spaghetti
09-05-2012, 07:39 PM
is the towel better than the pad??