PDA

View Full Version : using the daytona brush

PoorOwner
09-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I bought the regular size daytona brush and I still find it a bit difficult to use (bulky) I keep poking the calipers and rotor with it. Good for crevices, but how do you clean the face of the spokes?

Does it really not scratch the wheels?

I only used a foam cannon to apply foam to the wheels, but when I get around to brush it there was very little soap left. I admit I should have used a bucket and dip the brush, but it was late and I forgot I could do that. The wheels was pretty clean already so hopefully no damage done.

Thanks

richy
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I bought the regular size daytona brush and I still find it a bit difficult to use (bulky) I keep poking the calipers and rotor with it. Good for crevices, but how do you clean the face of the spokes?

Does it really not scratch the wheels?

I only used a foam cannon to apply foam to the wheels, but when I get around to brush it there was very little soap left. I admit I should have used a bucket and dip the brush, but it was late and I forgot I could do that. The wheels was pretty clean already so hopefully no damage done.

Thanks

I only ever use the Daytona for barrels. Use a Stipple brush, an old (soft) paintbrush or anything soft like that for the face/spokes. Raceglaze makes a set of 4 brushes that is simply amazing, but not available here. PM me for info.

PoorOwner
09-04-2012, 12:21 PM
OK so I bought the brush to clean the grooves in between the spoke and rim and I guess it does the job there. I guess I will continue to use dedicated wheel wash mitts for the face of the wheel.

BobbyG
09-04-2012, 12:24 PM
These brushes take a bit of learning. When the rotor diameter is close to the barrel diameter it leaves a little room to get the brush through. I normally have to insert it on an angle in order to use it effectively.

Brake calipers are a royal pain in the butt. The easiest way I deal with them, wheels on the car, is to roll the car forward or backward a couple of feet. This puts the spokes in in a different position making cleaning them easier.

The face of the wheels get a thorough cleaning using a soft brush and lambswool mitt. I like to wash them once, dry, then spray them with CarPro Iron-X. This allows me to see of I've missed anything and Iron-X works incredibly well..

I have both Daytona brushes and have never seen and damage from using them.

primo spaghetti
09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
my daytona brush us a real PIA, but i love it. i find i have to bend it in half (the bristle end) to even have enough strength to do any cleaning.

i find the handle bends very easy and my hand slips off it all the time when it wet and i bark my knuckles every tie i use it...however, i always use it..haha

Wayneezy
09-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Buy a good wheel cleaner and there shouldnt be any issues cleaning without bending the brush, ive never had an issue and i have both sizes. To clean the face of the wheel i use a boar hairs wheel brush then the daytona for the corners, spokes and barrel. Also invest in some "0000" steel wool for stubborn grime,corrosion etc

RoadRageDetail
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I bought both size Daytona brushes and they're a fantastic duo, but they are not a solution to cleaning all aspects of a wheel or caliper.

flamed03vert
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I use the daytona brush and a microfiber glove for the face and really tight places

ScottB
09-08-2012, 11:09 AM
when pulling back on the Daytona becareful of spraying on you, my lower legs often end up freckeled.

Ron Atchison
09-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Twist as you pull it out it will help with splatter.

oldgeek
09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
I bought these brushes
Wheel brushes for spoke wheels, deep set spoke wheel brush, large wheel brush, wheel brushes (http://www.autogeek.net/derewiwhbr.html)
In addition to the Daytona brushes. I think I like them a bit better. They are stiffer and you can "scrub" a bit better.