PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

ihaveacamaro
09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I was using a PC 7424xp with an orange flat pad at speed 5.5 to 6.

I spray optimum hyper compound spray twice to prime, and then once or twice per 2 to 3 foot area.

Why am I getting so much dust with the optimum hyper compound spray?

It's really weird, because when I use the hyper polish spray, in the exact same manner as above, I get almost zero dusting.

So what am I doing wrong?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=419094&stc=1&d=1346773350

rider9195
09-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Compounds will dust. It just seems to be their nature. You may be over working the product or not cleaning you pad enough. Excess product build up causes dusting for me.

ihaveacamaro
09-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Compounds will dust. It just seems to be their nature. You may be over working the product or not cleaning you pad enough. Excess product build up causes dusting for me.

This OHC advertises no dusting and several people have recommended the compound for this benefit.

Next time I use the compound, I will try cleaning it more often. I did try changing the pad though and got the same dusting though so I'm not sure if cleaning it was the problem

snowking724
09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
It's too much product causing the dust. It took me quite awhile to figure this out. One full spray to prime is enough and about a half trigger pull after that should do it. Play around with that on few sections and you'll vet the hang if it.

Vegas Transplant
09-04-2012, 12:04 PM
It's too much product causing the dust. It took me quite awhile to figure this out. One full spray to prime is enough and about a half trigger pull after that should do it. Play around with that on few sections and you'll vet the hang if it.

+1.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Make sure you shake the bottle of both hyper products really well before use as they separate out.

Very important.

:)

richy
09-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I just started playing with OHP myself. I would suggest that too much product was your downfall. I loved using it.

ihaveacamaro
09-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Weird that the same process gets different results with the compound and polish. I'll try this next time.

Make sure you shake the bottle of both hyper products really well before use as they separate out.

Very important.

:)

Definitely did that! I made the mistake of not doing that the first time lol

I just started playing with OHP myself. I would suggest that too much product was your downfall. I loved using it.

I had the problem with OHC not OHP. OHP worked perfectly. OHC caused a bunch of dusting

snowking724
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Try it the same way with the polish, less is more. Your bottle will last much longer.

ihaveacamaro
09-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Try it the same way with the polish, less is more. Your bottle will last much longer.

The thing is, I'm doing exactly the same thing with the compound and the polish and the compound is dusting and the polish isn't!

:dunno:

tuscarora dave
09-04-2012, 09:17 PM
To get a feel for how long a very little OHC spray will keep working, spray 1 trigger's worth on a clean pad and compound out your windshield until it goes dry. I was amazed that it worked and worked and worked without drying. Dr. G says it just cuts and cuts and keeps cutting.

I've just started playing around with it on my van and it does cut well both on foam or MF. I used very little, maybe 1 trigger pull for 6 section passes in a 16" x 16" section. I believe I could have done a second section with that same pad without adding more compound. No dusting at all.

snowking724
09-05-2012, 05:23 AM
The thing is, I'm doing exactly the same thing with the compound and the polish and the compound is dusting and the polish isn't!

:dunno:

Compounds tend to dust more, in my exp, than polishes. I'm just suggesting using less of both to save your product=more for later use.

ihaveacamaro
10-06-2012, 02:21 PM
ok guys long time since the last post, but I think I'm going to try OHC again on a friend's car. Thanks for the advice, I'll implement using a lot less product and let you know what my results are (non-dusting vs dusting).

mwoolfso
10-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, be extremely stingy and mindful as you buff to check to see if you are working wet rather than dry. Also, watch your pressure as pressure will cause heat, which dries the product (hence dust).