PDA

View Full Version : Wash Autogeek Microfiber Towels Before First Use?

NIS240SHU
09-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Hey guys,

I got my first order from AG on Friday with a bunch of the BOGO microfiber towels and some other items.

After washing the car I used some Meguiar's QD on the chinchilla towel and immediately left tons of lint all over the paint.

Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloth, microfiber detailing towel (http://www.autogeek.net/chinchilla-microfiber-cloth.html)

I didn't realize I'd have to wash them before my first use. Now, can I just wash all the new towels in the machine with water alone or should I use some type of detergent?

I don't have any microfiber-specific detergent (yet), but I do have standard high-efficiency detergent and white vinegar.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, to use?

I'll pop the towels in the dryer on low when they're out of the washer.

Thanks guys! :xyxthumbs:

Helder Cristovao

Wayneezy
09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
i put all my cloths throug 2 hot wash and double rinse cycles before using. Dry on low. This will rid of any dyes and lint usually and as far as detergent i use chemical guys microfiber wash. Any heavilt soild clothes get a pre soak in a bucket with the chem guy detergent in usually over night then wash

drbobbybones
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Welcome to AG!

Definitely wash your towels before using them. I think that microfiber detergent works best for me, but I have used Mrs. Meyer's fragrance free baby detergent and had good results. The biggest thing is to make sure you DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER. This includes in the detergent too.

I tumble dry low for only a few minutes. They get really statically charged when you let 'em go for a while.

Micro-Restore doesn’t just clean microfiber, it restores microfiber! (http://www.autogeek.net/mr32.html)

GoldBl4d3
09-03-2012, 10:55 PM
i put all my cloths throug 2 hot wash and double rinse cycles before using. Dry on low. This will rid of any dyes and lint usually

Yes I agree. Right when you get them, remove the labels. Wash them twice with hot water, both with double rinse.

I use a very little MF detergent with the first wash. Dont use normal detergent, I suggest chemical guys MF cleaner.

VISITOR
09-03-2012, 11:41 PM
you always want to wash new microfibers first. in between being made and through being transported (could of been dropped, etc.), you don't know what could have accumulated on them...

c5errr
09-04-2012, 01:46 AM
i am using megs microfiber without washing (the first time) and still get
lint free streak free quick detailing

NIS240SHU
09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I must admit I was surprised about how much came off those towels in just one wipe across the paint.

I wash 'em up and dry them for a bit.

Since I don't have any microfiber-specific wash, I'll add some white vinegar. They're all clean anyway.

Thanks again! :dblthumb2:

Helder

Wayneezy
09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I must admit I was surprised about how much came off those towels in just one wipe across the paint.

I wash 'em up and dry them for a bit.

Since I don't have any microfiber-specific wash, I'll add some white vinegar. They're all clean anyway.

Thanks again! :dblthumb2:

Helder

If you are washing before first use just wash in hot water with no detergent. The point of the mf wash is to get out stains and restore the material