PDA

View Full Version : Glass

Texsox
09-03-2012, 03:34 PM
First off thanks y'all, I have learned a lot from lurking. For much of the past 25 years I have been a once a week full service wash customer with a once a year trip to a detailer. I also had a position where every three years I was trading cars. After reading a lot of posts here I have a new respect for the guys that took care of my vehicles. Now I have a different career and I have the time to do some of this myself.

This morning as I was cleaning the windshield on my F-150 with mf towels and Invisaglass I noticed the ghost of where my wipers have travelled. Basically the area above the wipe. I used more product and elbow grease, but it is still there. I can't really see it from the inside so I could ignore it, but it will bug me knowing it is there.

Ideas?

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

rmagnus
09-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Subscribed. Maybe it's just me but I hate cleaning glass.

Suggestion: Clay your windshield and see if that works.

rider9195
09-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Welcome!

What you are seeing are wiper marks I believe. They are hard to avoid if you use your wipers often.

The way you would go about removing these is to polish your glass. You will need a machine polisher like a Porter Cable 7424 XP paired with either a Lake Country Glass Polishing Pad or a regular Lake Country orange pad.

I have used Car Pro Ceriglass with a glass polishing pad and have removed wiper marks easily. Other glass polishing products are DP High Performance Glass Restorer, DG NuGlass, and even a regular compound or polish will work.

If you doing a search on glass polishing and such, you will find a couple of reviews and demonstrations.

siberianrunner
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Agree with rider9195, there are several good glass polishing products from DP and Diamondite including clay that will clean and ploish your glass. I have found several AIO's and polishes that have worked well on glass like Klasse AIO and recently used Natty's Blue Liquid to clean up a windshield.

Texsox
09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Thank you, it seems like it is a film starting just above the wiper path. I see the marks that the edge of the blades have made, so perhaps while I am getting those off, I will remove that film as well. We have a really thick, heavy dew most mornings, that may be the build up.

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk