PDA

View Full Version : Removing haze left behind after col. 845 application

Pages : [1] 2

Wes8398
09-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey guys and girls. Hope everyone's summer has been going great.
I have a question about Collinite 845. I washed, clay barred, then applied 845 a few weeks ago, and I will admit to making a few mistakes (I was in a bit of a rush). One mistake was that I likely applied a bit too much product (2-3 quarter-sized dabs per panel). I applied with my griots 6" and crimson hydro tech pads. The other mistake I think I made was not giving the 845 enough time to "cure". I basically coated the whole car, then immediately went back to my starting panel and began taking it off with my MF buffing towels. It didn't take too much effort to remove, but it left a haze behind that hasn't come off after 2 (gentle) washes. I've also tried re-buffing in a few areas and that doesn't seem to be taking the haZe off either.
So, what can I do? Is the only solution to get into a little cutting/polishing? Or would a wash with a certain product remove it? What about applying a 2nd coat (and letting it cure this time)? Might that procedure remove the haze with the 2nd wax coat?

Thanks guys.

rider9195
09-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I have never had this problem. But over application was the problem. Two pea size drops is enough to do a fairly large panel.

But I have heard that chilled distilled water misted on the paint and wiped with a microfiber towel helps remove the haze.

Sunshine Auto
09-03-2012, 10:55 AM
The problem is not Collinite it is the clay bar. After you clayed the car if the paint was dull you should have polished it by hand or machine to bring the finish back to a bright shine. Then after you wipe the car down you can apply the collinite. You need to strip off the collinite with a light lacquer thinner wash or a heavy All purpose and "liquid dish" soap. That will cut down the wax and from there restart the steps....

we use collinite a lot here at the shop 90% of all vehicles, motorcycles and boats all get it as well.

take a look at our finish products... Sunshine Auto Detailing - Auto Detailing and Cleaning Cranston, RI - HOME (http://www.sunshineautodc.com)

Wes8398
09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
The problem is not Collinite it is the clay bar. After you clayed the car if the paint was dull you should have polished it by hand or machine to bring the finish back to a bright shine. Then after you wipe the car down you can apply the collinite. You need to strip off the collinite with a light lacquer thinner wash or a heavy All purpose and "liquid dish" soap. That will cut down the wax and from there restart the steps....

we use collinite a lot here at the shop 90% of all vehicles, motorcycles and boats all get it as well.

take a look at our finish products... Sunshine Auto Detailing - Auto Detailing and Cleaning Cranston, RI - HOME (http://www.sunshineautodc.com)

I didn't say there was a problem with the Collinite. I said I made mistakes.
This is most definitely a haze ON the paint surface, not a dull finish. The finish looked fine after the clay bar and drying.

KillaCam
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Did you try an ipa wipedown? That might work. 845 is an awesome wax, just gotta be careful with it.

Wes8398
09-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Did you try an ipa wipedown? That might work. 845 is an awesome wax, just gotta be careful with it.

Again, I'm not faulting the product AT ALL. I know it was user error and I take full responsibility.
I don't have any IPA's, which was why I was thinking maybe a dish soap wash. Maybe I'll put an order in for a wax remover / IPA and try that.

jjj
09-03-2012, 11:48 AM
a couple of things may have happened here. I have never had this problem, but know some who have. The 845 may have been put onto a hot vehicle. Have you tried doing a wipedown with a QD (with no wax in it ie;crystal mist) ? This may help. You may have to strip it down and re-do. If you clayed it you don't have to polish it with a DA you can use a high quality qd wipe down. I use poorboy spray and gloss and have never had this happen to vehicles, even red or black. I try and avoid harsh detergents like dawn but if your car hasn't been exposed to much, it should be ok. I have pinnacle conditioner and it takes 845 off pretty good, never had to apply it to fresh coat though. Good luck.

Wes8398
09-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions jjj. Maybe I'll look into a wax free QD and see how that does. If its still hazy after that I guess I'll have to look into something with a little cut in it, like that Pinnacle stuff. On that note, would I be able to just use the Meg's DA MF finishing wax and finishing pad rather than buying the Pinnacle stuff?

jjj
09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions jjj. Maybe I'll look into a wax free QD and see how that does. If its still hazy after that I guess I'll have to look into something with a little cut in it, like that Pinnacle stuff. On that note, would I be able to just use the Meg's DA MF finishing wax and finishing pad rather than buying the Pinnacle stuff?

IMHO. I think that the Meg MF finishing wax has very mild cleaners. I'm not sure if that would be enough to take 845 (which is detergant proof) off. I just don't know. If you have access to a otc product that is made for stripping wax, like a polish or compound. Be sure the olish is stripping and not a polih/synthetic wax ( like ICE by TW) Sometimes if the wax has cured, clay bar depending on abrasivness will work. But you went with a durable and great product like 845 which will probably stand against that. Good luck! Is it all ove the car or just isolated locals?

habeba86
09-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Id jst live with it for a while on a dd and then before winter prep strip the 845 off and see if you still have haze. If you do, then do a light polish and then reapply 845 with way less product. I barely use two dime size drops when I put it on.

pcw25
09-03-2012, 01:36 PM
i've had this exact problem before plenty of times. just take a rag with water and start wiping. make sure it is more than damp but not soaked. make sure you have a buffing towel as well.

MI Mike
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
If you apply to much 845 and let is dry too long this will happen. What I have found that works for me is to 'mist' a mf towel and wipe the area.

umi000
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
If it's not coming off with a wash, try a re-application of 845 - but this time thinly! The solvents in the new product might help remove the residue left behind by the previous application. If that doesn't work, a pre-wax cleaner will do the job for you - you'll just have to re-apply afterwards.

jjj
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
hows it looking wes8398? Any luck?

Johny B
09-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Id jst live with it for a while on a dd and then before winter prep strip the 845 off and see if you still have haze. If you do, then do a light polish and then reapply 845 with way less product. I barely use two dime size drops when I put it on.
Hi haheba86,

Do you prime your pad before adding two dime size drops? Which pad do you use? It seems that several members have issues with 845. My 2012 Sante Fe has a "show car finish".I have used Blacklight and topped it with 2 coats of V7 sealant and it's has a deep wet gloss shine. I do not want to ruin everything by using 845. May I apply 845 over V7 sealant?
Thanks and regards,
Johny