PDA

View Full Version : Application:Optimum Coatings

Pages : [1] 2

Chris Thomas
09-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm using Opti-Guard in the video, but the instructions are the same. You should have a little more time and/or be able to have larger sections with Opti-Coat 2.0 than you'll see me using with OG, but in high temps/humidity OC can flash pretty fast too.

The car is a 2004 Viper with lots of curves and edges. I thought it'd be a good example to show both horizontal and vertical panel application.

My YouTube channel is ChrisAtOptimum and I'll be adding more videos as I have time. Feel free to offer suggestions if you see things that I need to cover differently.

Application: Optimum Coatings.wmv - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_qu3qtG3DjM)

Rsurfer
09-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the vid Chris. How much OC/OG should be used on a mid size car?
I'm using Opti-Guard in the video, but the instructions are the same. You should have a little more time and/or be able to have larger sections with Opti-Coat 2.0 than you'll see me using with OG, but in high temps/humidity OC can flash pretty fast too.

The car is a 2004 Viper with lots of curves and edges. I thought it'd be a good example to show both horizontal and vertical panel application.

My YouTube channel is ChrisAtOptimum and I'll be adding more videos as I have time. Feel free to offer suggestions if you see things that I need to cover differently.

Application: Optimum Coatings.wmv - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_qu3qtG3DjM)

BobbyG
09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Great video Chris..... :props: ............Does this mean Nick won't be doing one? :laughing:

Chris Thomas
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
The viper is long with lots of nooks. I used approximately 6cc for all the painted surfaces. Less is used applying it directly to the paint vs. to the applicator, but even then 10cc should be plenty for a mid sized sedan. I would not advise going into an application trying to use as little as possible, though. Your goal should be even coverage regardless of how much you are using. I hope the video shows accurately the amount needed to coat a section. It doesn't take much, but it's a little hard to spread out from a central point or just from the applicator. A small trail across the section works best for me. My technique and applicator is always evolving, but what I show in the video is the easiest way I have found for teaching others. I plan on shooting supplement video that captures the flashing, when to wipe, and how to fix it when excess is allowed to dry. I couldn't capture that with this color in any light, so I'll have to try again.

Chris Thomas
09-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Great video Chris..... :props: ............Does this mean Nick won't be doing one? :laughing:

I would love to shoot a collaboration series for our line with Nick in that awesome "Showcar Garage!" Maybe I can show up a few days early for the next Detail Fest and we can get something going.

rwright
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
:applause: Fantastic video Chris!

Rsurfer
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
The viper is long with lots of nooks. I used approximately 6cc for all the painted surfaces. Less is used applying it directly to the paint vs. to the applicator, but even then 10cc should be plenty for a mid sized sedan. I would not advise going into an application trying to use as little as possible, though. Your goal should be even coverage regardless of how much you are using. I hope the video shows accurately the amount needed to coat a section. It doesn't take much, but it's a little hard to spread out from a central point or just from the applicator. A small trail across the section works best for me. My technique and applicator is always evolving, but what I show in the video is the easiest way I have found for teaching others. I plan on shooting supplement video that captures the flashing, when to wipe, and how to fix it when excess is allowed to dry. I couldn't capture that with this color in any light, so I'll have to try again.
Good points, thanks.

FUNX650
09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the video Chris!!

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

NOTE:
I might have missed its introduction,
but glad to see that Optimum has: Opti-Erasure...:props:

:)

Bob

Rsurfer
09-02-2012, 04:17 PM
NOTE:
I might have missed its introduction,
but glad to see that Optimum has: Opti-Erasure...:props:

Bob
Link?

FUNX650
09-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Link?

It's seen, 'on screen', during the: products being used section...
at the 13-17 seconds mark of Chris' YouTube video he posted.

Bob

NOTE: Opti-Eraser...not Erasure

Rsurfer
09-02-2012, 04:35 PM
It's seen, 'on screen', during the: products being used section...
at the 13-17 seconds mark of Chris' YouTube video he posted.

Bob
Ahhh, very observant, maybe Chris will confirm.:xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
09-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Ahhh, very observant, maybe Chris will confirm.:xyxthumbs:

Thanks RSurfer.

NOTE: I meant Opti-Eraser (not Erasure...my habit of spelling this word)...

I noticed that it's also supposed to be a featured product to be used
during the upcoming September, 2012: Mike Phillip's Detail Boot Camp on:

Sunday

8:00am to 8:30pm – Claying
• Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay & Pinnacle Clay Lube
• Opti-Eraser & Optimum No Rinse

Bob

Chris Thomas
09-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Opti-Eraser will be available soon. Packaging and such is happening now.

Sent from my IPhone

FUNX650
09-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Opti-Eraser will be available soon. Packaging and such is happening now.

Sent from my IPhone

I'd almost bet that the good folks at Optimum Polmer Technologies, yourself included Chris,
hopes Opti-Eraser will at least provide some relief to the debate relating to:

Best practices/products to use for the "prep"...
before an Opti-Gard/Coat 2.0 application.

You never know, though.

Bob

Twister
09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Great video Chris.