PDA

View Full Version : Acrysol to remove overspray?

takkychan381
09-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Hey guys, I had a question regarding overspray.

This past week I was doing a little spray paint project and I managed to get a heavy overspray ALL OVER my black silverado.
I thought that i moved it far enough away, but apparently I did not.

I know the go to product for overspray is Clay, but this is a BIG job. I managed to remove all of the overspray with a clay,rubbing compound combo from one of the front quarter panels (which is the smallest panel on the vehicle) and it took about an hour and my arm was dead by then. Like I said, i have the entire truck to do. So, i went down to my local body shop and the guy told me to get some acrysol and a rag, and it should wipe right off. Is this too harsh of a chemical to apply? I am questioning his advise because he has done some shoty work for me in the past.

Thanks for any insight!

SON1C
09-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd personally be claying the vehicle. The pain of fixing this will should hopefully remind you to move it farther next time! lol

kmsdetailing
09-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I did a '12 Buick Enclave. Fortunately, it was just the entire rear with just a tad on the quarters. It took me two hours to complete but my biceps and triceps grew nicely.

I've heard of other remedies such as non acrylic nail polish remover but I stuck with the clay and it worked. I never had any fear that something would go wrong.

Wheelzntoys
09-02-2012, 03:51 PM
If you buy Acrysol, you can save the rest of it for a future Exo prep.

RMM
09-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes, Acrysol will do the trick.

FUNX650
09-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm curious to which Acrysol you were recommended to buy,
and what safety precautions to take while using it.

Also: Are products containing a very high % of Xylene...CC paint safe?

-ACRYSOL™ ASE-60...Anionic, low shear viscosity builder
-ACRYSOL™ RM-825...Non-ionic, medium shear viscosity builder
-ACRYSOL™ SCT-275...Non-ionic, efficient, low-medium shear viscosity builder by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ TT-615...Low shear viscosity builder by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ TT-935...Medium shear viscosity builder by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ TT-935 ER...Medium shear viscosity builder
-ACRYSOL™ RM-5000...Non-ionic, high shear viscosity builder by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ WS-24...Acrylic copolymer dispersion resin for clear and pigmented films
-ACRYSOL™ I-62...lGeneral purpose aqueous pigment-dispersing resin for coatings and graining inks
-ACRYSOL™ RM-1020...Nonionic polyurethane associative rheology modifier used as a general-purpose agent
-ACRYSOL™ WS-68...Thermosetting acrylic polymer for waterborne industrial enamels
-ACRYSOL™ WS-50...Water-solubilized acrylic polymers for general industrial coatings requiring hard films
-ACRYSOL™ DR-300...Associative thickener for shear-thinning rheology in matt to semi-gloss coatings
-ACRYSOL™ DR-72...Synthetic liquid anionic rheology modifier for interior latex paints
-ACRYSOL™ RM-3000...Non-ionic, solvent-free, HEUR rheology modifier for effective use in deeptone formulations by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-55...APEO-free, hydrophobically-modified anionic thickener for interior and exterior paints
-ACRYSOL™ RM-2020...Non-ionic urethane rheology modifier enabling optimal film build and high shear viscosity
-ACRYSOL™ RM-12W...Non-ionic, solvent-free rheology modifier for providing high low-shear viscosity by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-8W...Non-ionic, solvent-free, urethane rheology modifier that provides
a balance of low and high shear viscosities by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-6000...Solvent-free, non-ionic urethane rheology modifier with
efficiency in both the medium and high shear range
-ACRYSOL™ ASE-1000...Alkali-soluble, polyacrylate thickener for the formulation of construction mastics
-ACRYSOL™ DR-73/Acrysol DR-73...Rheology modifier for latex coatings by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-6...Hydrophobically modified alkali soluble emulsion (HASE) anionic associative thickener for latex paints
-ACRYSOL™ RM-5...Hydrophobically modified alkali-soluble, acrylic thickener for latex paints
-ACRYSOL™ RM-7...Versatile hydrophobically modified alkali-soluble emulsion (HASE) thickening agent for latex coatings by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ DR-1...Hydrophobically modified alkali-soluble anionic associative thickener for latex paints
-ACRYSOL™ ASE-75...Alkali soluble, acrylic thickener for textile formulations
-ACRYSOL™ ASE-95NP...Alkali soluble, acrylic thickener for textile formulations
-ACRYSOL™ RM-8...Nonionic, non-pH dependent rheology modifier for textile formulations
-ACRYSOL™ G-111...Neutralized polyacrylate thickener for water-based paints
-ACRYSOL™ DR-5500...APEO-free hydrophobically modified alkali soluble anionic associative thickener for latex paints by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ DR-6600 Rheology Modifier...APEO-free, Anionic Associative Thickener for
Waterborne Coatings by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-845...Nonionic HEUR associative thickener
-ACRYSOL™ DR-130...Hydrophobically modified, alkali-soluble, anionic associative thickener for latex paints.
-ACRYSOL™ DR-110...Hydrophobically-Modified Alkali-soluble Emulsion for
Thickening Latex Coatings by Dow Coating Materials.
-ACRYSOL™ RM-2020NPR..;.HEUR Rheolgy Modifier- Solvent-Free ICI Builder
-ACRYSOL™ RM-242...Nonionic Associative Thickener
-ACRYSOL™ RM-244...Nonionic associative thickener
-ACRYSOL™ RM-995...Rheology Modifier offers both enhanced viscosity stability to
colorant addition and improved sag resistance to broad-wall paints.
(Source: Dow Chemical web-site)

Gotta be careful out there!!!

:)

Bob

RMM
09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
For the record, I am talking about Einszett Acrysol (I don't know if it is available in the US). It is clear coat safe.

takkychan381
09-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Haha DANG! I didn't know i had so many choices..

The guy just told me to go to any automotive paint supply store and ask for Acrysol. He said to put some on a rag and wipe it right off. Said he uses it all the time if he gets overspray on anything. Even told me it can take stains out of upholstery.