PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pads

ejflanag
04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Question about the life of a polishing pad. I use LC pads and just used them for the first time and cleaned them when i was finished. I am just curious to know how many times i can expect to use them and at what point should i just toss it. Does it usually take two of the same pads to polish a vehicle. Example start with polish and orange pad do i need to have a spare to use maybe half way.

travisdecpn
04-13-2007, 10:41 PM
The life of a polishing pad varies based on a number of factors. I find that I go through compounding and polishing pads relatively quickly (10-15 uses) before i decide that it is time to replace them. I'm kind of picky and if the pad starts to tear or become increasingly difficult to clean, it's time to move on. Finishing and light polishing pads like the grey and blue pads from LC seem to last a long time because I will only use them to apply glazes and waxes/sealants at low speeds. f I ever drop a pad I will most likely toss it because I don't want to take any chances of marring. Another concern is separation of the velcro backing, you can try to repair it, but most of the time you would be better off just replacing it. Your experience my differ, I know I am different than most others. I

ejflanag
04-13-2007, 10:43 PM
is that pad still good if you dont clean it right away say a day or two later.

travisdecpn
04-13-2007, 11:00 PM
If you're refering to a dropped pad I consider it a loss. I'm sure if you washed it and inspected it closely it would still be good, but if it's close to the 10-15 use lifespan, then I'll just part ways with it. I think I've only dropped a pad once, I'm usually very careful when working with them. Keeping a dedicated bucket filled with a pad cleanser is a must, when a pad becomes caked with product just toss it in and give it a couple of brushes and it will be ready for the next day. You should have at least 2-3 of the different pads, I find that I go through at least two of LC's orange and white polishing pads per car.

BILL
04-14-2007, 07:32 AM
is that pad still good if you dont clean it right away say a day or two later.

sure..... just let it soak in a pad cleaner and it will be fine.......