PDA

View Full Version : is 'glass' clay different?

wangotango
08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Starting to see a lot of water spots to be treated.
Is glass clay any different than regular paint clay?
Milder than the mildest or stronger than an aggressive clay?
Anybody using it?

Gonna be polishing/sealing some glass.

thanks!

SON1C
08-31-2012, 08:44 PM
doubtful, I only use mothers clay, its always worked for me so I've never felt a need to switch

Setec Astronomy
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
IMO it's mostly a marketing angle. Clays are formulated in many grades and compositions, I'm sure the more aggressive clays are very effective on glass without having to be "glass" clays. The key thing is that because glass is so much harder than paint, you can use a more aggressive clay without any fear of marring.

wangotango
09-01-2012, 12:06 AM
xlnt thought Setec
makes sense and I'm gonna try it
will be experimenting with polish w or w/o clay and clay only
red megs is probly most aggressive I know
thanks!

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2012, 05:30 AM
I wouldn't polish your glass (by machine) without claying first. Recently a member seems to have gotten a piece of grit stuck in their glass polishing media and put a bunch of swirls in their glass (no, I don't remember the member nor can I point you to the thread).

Let's look at it this way...myself and a lot of other members have been claying our glass for as long as we've been claying...and "glass" clay has only been out for...maybe a year?

wangotango
09-01-2012, 10:32 AM
xlnt logic Setec
gotta tip from another post that uses same clay on windows as using on paint at the time
all makes sense
thank you!

Nick McKees37
09-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't polish your glass (by machine) without claying first. Recently a member seems to have gotten a piece of grit stuck in their glass polishing media and put a bunch of swirls in their glass (no, I don't remember the member nor can I point you to the thread).

Great tip. :dblthumb2:

Let's look at it this way...myself and a lot of other members have been claying our glass for as long as we've been claying...and "glass" clay has only been out for...maybe a year?

Great observation, but I heard a lot of "old school" guys said that when the DA polisher was originally introduced too. ;) Look at this way, there is always room for innovations and continuous improvements in all products and processes.

That being said, glass clay is generally more aggressive than conventional detailing clay. While regular detailing clay will certainly work to remove above surface contaminates on glass, a clay designed specifically for glass will work better.

How To: Remove Water Spots on Glass w/Diamondite Glasswork Kit (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50827-how-remove-water-spots-glass-w-diamondite-glasswork-kit.html#post682161)

Step 2: Claying the glass

The next step is to clay the glass with the included Diamondite Glasswork Cleansing Clay and Diamondite Clay Lubricant. What makes this clay different than any other clay bar? It's far more aggressive because glass is much harder than paint. Just like you clay your paint before you polish it, claying your glass is critical before polishing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/nick/Diamondite%20Glass%20Work%20System%20Kit/glass%20polishing%208.JPG

wangotango
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Nick: glass clay will be more aggressive than Megs red?