PDA

View Full Version : Clay Towels?

Pages : [1] 2

ProDetail
08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
So I'm reading Renny Doyle's book and he mentions that there are a few different ways to clay and a clay towel is one of them.
After a quick search I came up with zilch. Anyone have any experience with these our even know what I'm taking about?

oldgeek
08-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Speedy Surface Prep Towel, speedy prep towel, clay bar replacement, detailing clay (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel.html)

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Uploading a video right this second showing the Speedy Prep Towel as we used it on the 2003 Honda last night.

In this video, my friend and Pro Detailer Jeff Bell is using it for the first time. I ask him point blank what he thinks, I let you see for yourself his answer.

:)

ProDetail
08-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Wow that was a fast response! I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks oldgeek, and Mike for the quick response.

Mike, in your opinion, do you think it obtains the same results as a ol' fashioned clay bar?

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Here's the video, remember Jeff's heard of the Speedy Prep Towel but never used one before...

Speedy Prep Towel Replaces Detailing Clay

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZC617JPjLw&hd=1]Speedy Prep Towel Replaces Detailing Clay - YouTube[/video]

Mike, in your opinion, do you think it obtains the same results as a ol' fashioned clay bar?

As good and even better...

At some point products like this will come down to personal preference...

If I were doing detailing full time, anytime I was going to machine polish the paint I would wash and rinse the car to get all the loosened dirt off the car and then while the car was still wet I would clay it using my wash solution and then rinse again.

This gets the washing and claying job done in one step and I wouldn't have to dry the car only to get it wet again with clay lube and then have to wipe the clay lube off. (more steps).

I would also use this with a foam gun the same way...

:)

ReflectiveAuto
08-31-2012, 03:43 PM
I just received Nanoskin auto scrubber 6" pad for my DA. It works the same as this and Nanoskin also makes a cloth like this. I have yet to use it..maybe this weekend and video of it.

ihaveacamaro
08-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Here's the video, remember Jeff's heard of the Speedy Prep Towel but never used one before...

Speedy Prep Towel Replaces Detailing Clay

Speedy Prep Towel Replaces Detailing Clay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZC617JPjLw&hd=1)

Mike, at 1:00 in your video, you give some of the best advice I've ever heard ;)

ProDetail
08-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Mike I'll check it out tonight.

@ReflectiveAuto can't wait to see it if you do

MinnBobber
08-31-2012, 04:44 PM
If it is sticky enough to remove contaminants in the first place, would you trust that washing
it will remove them ??
i just wonder about over time and reuse, is it truly going to be free of junk??

ReflectiveAuto
08-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks Mike I'll check it out tonight.

@ReflectiveAuto can't wait to see it if you do

Just took a video of it in action...uploading to my FB right now...what a amazing product I have to say...I will not use a clay bar ever again...period and end of story. Once its uploaded I will put a thread up on the test review soon.

rcramie
08-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Just took a video of it in action...uploading to my FB right now...what a amazing product I have to say...I will not use a clay bar ever again...period and end of story. Once its uploaded I will put a thread up on the test review soon.

My exact response the first time I used it.:xyxthumbs:

ReflectiveAuto
08-31-2012, 09:34 PM
It's up loaded in detailing 101 forum now

stibuki
08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
I will say this, I ordered the medium towel from another source used it once and was hooked. As soon as AG had the fine towel I ordered it! Expensive yes but more than worth the price of admission.

For speed and ease of use it can't be beat. I find that I tend to use more lube than traditional clay but the speed (time savings) more than makes up for additional product used.

Time will tell how it holds up but good point about possible embedded contaminates in the towel after lets say 10 or more cars.

Clay still has it's place especially those tight area's that the towel doesn't work so well. For the most part my clay just sits in the box collecting dust.

2old2change
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
If it is sticky enough to remove contaminants in the first place, would you trust that washing
it will remove them ??

I have done well over a dozen cars so far and with a quick rinse it's as good as new. I do use plenty of lube with the towel.

Mike Phillips
09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Mike, at 1:00 in your video, you give some of the best advice I've ever heard ;)

Exactly, and for those that might have missed it what I said was,

"Use plenty of lube"

The towels has a lot more surface area than a clay patty and you need to lay down enough lubricant to enable all this surface area to glide over the paint and not grab the paint and stick.

If it is sticky enough to remove contaminants in the first place, would you trust that washing it will remove them ??

Detailing Clay and contaminant removing towels like this don't remove contaminants because they are sticky, they remove through abrading action. Common misconception though and in the first claying video I ever made at Meguiar's and also the first one I made for AGO I explained in detail how "detailing clay" works and the misconception.

In fact, even the title I wrote for the thread includes that the video explains how clay works. Most videos or live demonstration I've ever seen on clay just show how-to use the the thing, never explains "how" or "why" it works. I'm a big believer in not just showing how but also the why behind it...

Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/24319-show-car-garage-video-how-detailing-clay-works-how-use-detailing-clay-remove-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

Part 1 - How To Use Detailing Clay

YouTube- Part 1 - How to use detailing clay

Part 2 - How To Use Detailing Clay

YouTube- Part 2 - How to use detailing clay

A lot more free of junk or contaminants than clay will ever be. Actually, if you spend just a few seconds gently washing the working face of the towel you can get it as clean as new.

I have done well over a dozen cars so far and with a quick rinse it's as good as new. I do use plenty of lube with the towel.

Perfect Paul.

:xyxthumbs: