PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washer fell in water while cleaning boat........

Pages : [1] 2

Enthusiast
08-31-2012, 09:02 AM
So my john deere 3300 psi pressure washer shook itself into the water yesterday as one of my employees was cleaning a boat and now its completely junk.....so I was looking for advice in regards to what I should buy next. I clean about 200-300 cars a year part time and I think I've pressure washed 2 houses in 4 years.
Any brand recommendations. I looked at the Dewalt 3000 psi with the honda engine for $599 but I was hesitant as to if I really needed all the power to do the cars. Do i really need all the psi?

What do you guys think?

BobbyG
08-31-2012, 09:09 AM
Personally, I would say not at all.

I have a 2500psi TroyBilt I bought at Lowe's and even this is overkill for pressure. It does come in handy for pushing a stream to greater distance but that's about it. Honda 5.5hp and it's never failed me..

Most of the electric ones I see here are in the 1600psi to 1800psi range and they seem to work.

master detailer
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
dude you can get it going for sure pull the plug and pull the rope about 30 times till the water is all out then put a little oil in there and pull it about 10 times and put plugs back in.then pull the carb bowl or just drain it. drain oil and refill your good to go. do it on my snowmobile all the time lol more then i like lol

BobbyG
08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
dude you can get it going for sure pull the plug and pull the rope about 30 times till the water is all out then put a little oil in there and pull it about 10 times and put plugs back in.then pull the carb bowl or just drain it. drain oil and refill your good to go. do it on my snowmobile all the time lol more then i like lol

:iagree: Unless the block cracked when it hit the cold water making the engine junk...

Enthusiast
08-31-2012, 09:40 AM
I changed the spark plug. Dumped the oil, gas and pump oil. It wont fire up at all. My neighbor is a mechanic and he told me its junk.....

In regards to the electric pressure washers---

I detail 50-60 cars in a 4 day span at tournaments. Could the electric pressure washers handle that??

BobbyG
08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
I changed the spark plug. Dumped the oil, gas and pump oil. It wont fire up at all. My neighbor is a mechanic and he told me its junk.....

If you're up for a little tinkering.....

When something like this becomes submerged, water gets into everything. Before junking it I'd be certain that everything's completely dry especially the electronic side of things.

Remove the covers and blow everything out with compressed air then let it sit for a few days especially in the bright sun so it warms everything up...

jwellsii
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
If you're up for a little tinkering.....

When something like this becomes submerged, water gets into everything. Before junking it I'd be certain that everything's completely dry especially the electronic side of things.

Remove the covers and blow everything out with compressed air then let it sit for a few days especially in the bright sun so it warms everything up...

:iagree:100% :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
08-31-2012, 10:41 AM
So my john deere 3300 psi pressure washer shook itself into the water yesterday as one of my employees was cleaning a boat and now its completely junk.....

@OP Enthusiast:

1.) Sorry to hear of your loss of this equipment.
2.) IMO...No you don't need that much psi; unless you're going into the concrete-cutting business.
3.) This may seem a little off-topic...

But is this employee the same one mentioned here in B&B Tennessee's thread?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/50819-what-great-day-until.html

Just curious.

:)

Bob

GoldBl4d3
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
So my john deere 3300 psi pressure washer shook itself into the water yesterday as one of my employees was cleaning a boat and now its completely junk.....so I was looking for advice in regards to what I should buy next. I clean about 200-300 cars a year part time and I think I've pressure washed 2 houses in 4 years.
Any brand recommendations. I looked at the Dewalt 3000 psi with the honda engine for $599 but I was hesitant as to if I really needed all the power to do the cars. Do i really need all the psi?

What do you guys think?

Lowes sells a 1700 psi green works pressure washer. Its $180, comes with disconnect nozzles. Awesome pressure washer for the money. Very well built, pretty quiet for an electric pressure washer. I have no complaints about it at all.

yakky
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
If your neighbor is a real mechanic, he should have told you what was wrong with it, and why it is junk. I agree with the others saying unless the block is cracked, it is not junk. And even then, you can get another motor cheap, as long as the pump is still in good shape.

Ipsdrew
08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
If your neighbor is a real mechanic, he should have told you what was wrong with it, and why it is junk. I agree with the others saying unless the block is cracked, it is not junk.

Or maybe he said it was junk and is patiently waiting to see it in the trash can so he can have himself a nice pressure washer :dunno:

cleanscapes
08-31-2012, 11:26 AM
you could always get that pressure washer and just change out the tips( not the tips of green red and white) but true tips that can change the pressure or psi needed. I'll try to post more info later about tips.

cleanscapes
08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Attached is a chart:
http://www.ptstate.com/Themes/default/images/icons/clip.gif C_Nozzle2.pdf (http://www.ptstate.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4295.0;attach=8811 ) (14.69 kB - downloaded 77 times.)

Hopefully this link works for the nozzle chart above.

stibuki
08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Surly the electronics are soaked and thats a simple fix. If it was running when it hit the water I wouldn't be that concerned with a cracked block as something of that nature is pretty easy to spot on something that small. However unless your are very lucky the engine most likely ingested some water causing hydro lock. This in itself could cause catastrophic failure besides a cracked block you also might have a cracked piston or a bent rod. When you try to start it does the engine crank smoothly? Did it take a swim in fresh or salt water? In any case I would flush out the pump, lines and at the worse just replace the engine for less then half the price of a new washer. Especially if the pump was in good condition.

If you are interested in electric pressure washers I don't think a consumer grade washer would be that cost effective in the long run. I would suggest you take a look the Kranzel brand of commercial electric washers. Another note cleaning power is not just a matter of PSI it has just as much if not more to do with GPM (gallons per min). I've seen a 1400PSI 3.0GPM electric washer that will out clean a 2500PSI 2.0GPM gas unit.

Just some food for thought.

Enthusiast
08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Well I did get it so start running again however, when i was flushing out the fluids I dumped the pump oil out and put motor oil in there by accident and then ran it for a couple minutes. It sounded like metal so I shut it off and now I can even pull the cord at all. So the mechanic actually dismounted the pump to see if he could get the engine to go and it didnt want to budge either. He said something along the lines of grounding the barrens I think. I know nothing about mechanics.

How much would a new engine cost? Home Depot has a Dewalt for sale right now floor model for 400 bucks. I was going to pick it up later on before I buried my John Deere :(