PDA

View Full Version : Best item to get dried wax from clear bra edges?

Marc Hufnagel
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I was asked to do a red Infiniti (2011) with a 3m clear bra. Checking it over, practically every edge of the clear bra has dried white wax 'caught' on the edge of it. The owner says they hand-waxed it but now is showing swirls so he asked me to take a look at it.

What kind of brush would be best for this? I don't want to go lifting the bra off by getting too aggressive and getting bristles under the edge of it.

Thanks!

master detailer
08-30-2012, 12:39 PM
3m bras will not come up on you. there on there to stay lol. any thing will work. I have had the bad luck to have to take some off they are a bit-h.you can get me to do any more of them.but cleaning the edge is kool.any thing will do you cant hurt it.

tuscarora dave
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I find that a long nap cotton or MF towel with either mineral spirits or Prep-Sol grease and wax remover applied to it, wrapped around my index finger or thumb and rubbed against the edge with light to moderate pressure works well at removing the customer's dried on wax.

When I see this on a car that comes in the shop, I show the customer how to use painter's tape to avoid it into the future, or I suggest to them the use of clear sealants such as UPGP, Opti-Seal or even TW Ice if they aren't the internet shopping type.

rider9195
08-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I finally found a great solution to this. I wrap a microfiber towel around a old gift card and then i used sprayed Sprayway glass cleaner on the towel and using the edges of the card I ran it along the edges of the clear bra. The MF works great at loosening thr dried wax and the glass cleaner helps break up the residue as well.

FUNX650
08-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I find that a long nap cotton or MF towel with either mineral spirits or Prep-Sol grease and wax remover applied to it, wrapped around my index finger or thumb and rubbed against the edge with light to moderate pressure works well at removing the customer's dried on wax.

When I see this on a car that comes in the shop, I show the customer how to use painter's tape to avoid it into the future, or I suggest to them the use of clear sealants such as UPGP, Opti-Seal or even TW Ice if they aren't the internet shopping type.

^^^Really good advice Dave!!^^^ :props:

(I religiously use TW's Synthetic Detail Spray to 'clean-up' not only wax residues,
but bug-guts, bird doo-doo, & tree-sap from PPF as well...
It's even recommended by XPel when one has
depleted their personal inventory of:
XPel’s and Premier’s PPF cleaners/sealants.)

:)

Bob

Marc Hufnagel
08-30-2012, 01:59 PM

Klean-strip Prep-all wax/adhesive remover ok? I see that @ Advance on their site. I always tape the edges on my cars but yes I will advise, but! would rather be doing his car myself! He's down the street and thought he'd ask if I could do his since mine 'always look like new' :)

Marc Hufnagel
08-30-2012, 02:01 PM
^^^Really good advice Dave!!^^^ :props:

(I religiously use TW's Synthetic Detail Spray to 'clean-up' not only wax residues,
but bug-guts, bird doo-doo, & tree-sap from PPF as well...
It's even recommended by XPel when one has
depleted their personal inventory of:
XPel’s and Premier’s PPF cleaners/sealants.)

Bob

I'll check this out too @ Walmart- thanks!

Marc Hufnagel
08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I finally found a great solution to this. I wrap a microfiber towel around a old gift card and then i used sprayed Sprayway glass cleaner on the towel and using the edges of the card I ran it along the edges of the clear bra. The MF works great at loosening thr dried wax and the glass cleaner helps break up the residue as well.

Hmm I do have Sprayway already and will try this as well, thanks!

FUNX650
08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
He's down the street and thought he'd ask if I could do his since mine 'always look like new' :)

See if he's willing to part with a few of his:
'new' bills for helping him out :D

I'll check this out too @ Walmart- thanks!

You're Welcome.

Bob

Marc Hufnagel
09-03-2012, 12:29 PM
This close enough to prep-sol to work and be ok ?

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj584/marchufnagel/9a58eb88.jpg

builthatch
09-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Klean-strip Prep-all wax/adhesive remover ok? I see that @ Advance on their site. I always tape the edges on my cars but yes I will advise, but! would rather be doing his car myself! He's down the street and thought he'd ask if I could do his since mine 'always look like new' :)

yep. i have used that exclusively for years. excellent prep solvent. that can you show looks like a spray though. i'd spring for the regular screw cap pour bottle. i'd imagine it's much easier to use for what we do.

Marc Hufnagel
09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
That's all they had in my area, I will just spray/saturate part of a mf and use it that way.

Ironman
11-06-2012, 04:05 PM
What I found that worked for me was soaking a Q-tip in a small amount of a Quick Detailer of choice and "running" the Q-tip along the edge. You'll have to use several of them, being that the Q-tip will quickly get saturated with dried wax and will have to use a clean end. But it works very well.