PDA

View Full Version : 7.5" pads with a Flex 3401. Go or No Go ?

DaC
08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
With a production ambient in mind, where you have to finish cars pretty fast.... would a 7.5" inch pad be a go on a flex 3401 ?

Will it have juice to keep a pad of that size just fine ?
Will it over stress the machine ?
Will it really save time ?
Which pads would you use with it ?
Any special backing plate required ?

CHALM
08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
With a production ambient in mind, where you have to finish cars pretty fast.... would a 7.5" inch pad be a go on a flex 3401 ?

Will it have juice to keep a pad of that size just fine ?
Will it over stress the machine ?
Will it really save time ?
Which pads would you use with it ?
Any special backing plate required ?

6.5" is as high as I have gone, and it has the "juice" to move mine. As far as personal preferance is concerned, I use 5.5" on most cars. I like the feel of the smaller pad, but that is just me.

stibuki
08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I've tried one on a friends 3401 about 6 months ago at his shop one evening. thought might have been an 8" pad cant remember. We were just BSing and thinking about a few what ifs. First off the standard backing plate was a bit to small for that large of a pad or at least the one we were using and to the best of my knowledge there is not a larger one made though I haven't looked to hard. Using a flat foam pad it was a bit hard to control and if used on a whole car would give some of us a good workout. From our very short test I would say any benefits would be outweighed by the disadvantages.

Rsurfer
08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
You asked the same question on live2detail and I answered you.

DaC
08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I've tried one on a friends 3401 about 6 months ago at his shop one evening. thought might have been an 8" pad cant remember. We were just BSing and thinking about a few what ifs. First off the standard backing plate was a bit to small for that large of a pad or at least the one we were using and to the best of my knowledge there is not a larger one made though I haven't looked to hard. Using a flat foam pad it was a bit hard to control and if used on a whole car would give some of us a good workout. From our very short test I would say any benefits would be outweighed by the disadvantages.

You got my concern.... Maybe big isn't
Exactly better on speed...
Do you think it's hard to control to the point of being dangerous ?

You asked the same question on live2detail and I answered you.

sweet I'll check it out... I'm just trying to reach a bigger audience posting it here too. :D

stibuki
08-30-2012, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=DaC;731414]You got my concern.... Maybe big isn't

I am not a pro detailer but proficient enough and experienced enough to get payed for it and often do so on the side and helping a friend in his shop when he gets busy. That said IMO I would not use a 3401 equipped with anything larger than a 6.5" pad. I think anything bigger would be a pain to control and and slow you down just for the fact that it requires additional concentration and care besides the backing plate issue.

Ive used these with good results and they will work with a 5" to 6" backing plate so your within range.
Lake Country Waffle Pro 6.5 Inch Foam Pads, buffing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-waffle-pro-pads.html)

BTW... stay away from the Cobra cross grooved as they tend to walk and skip some with the Flex making it hard to control.

DaC
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I am not a pro detailer but proficient enough and experienced enough to get payed for it and often do so on the side and helping a friend in his shop when he gets busy. That said IMO I would not use a 3401 equipped with anything larger than a 6.5" pad. I think anything bigger would be a pain to control and and slow you down just for the fact that it requires additional concentration and care besides the backing plate issue.

Ive used these with good results and they will work with a 5" to 6" backing plate so your within range.
Lake Country Waffle Pro 6.5 Inch Foam Pads, buffing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-waffle-pro-pads.html)

BTW... stay away from the Cobra cross grooved as they tend to walk and skip some with the Flex making it hard to control.

Alright! Thank you very much for the info...
I guess I'll just skip idea then.... No wonder why there are so few topics debating this on the net.....

beric
08-31-2012, 02:53 AM
[QUOTE=DaC;731414]You got my concern.... Maybe big isn't

Which of the waffle weave pads would be used for glazing and sealing? Black or Blue?

DaC
08-31-2012, 07:17 AM
[quote=stibuki;731427]

Which of the waffle weave pads would be used for glazing and sealing? Black or Blue?

Well, I guess it's no different from the other flat line....
I'd use the blue one for that.....

stibuki
08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
[quote=stibuki;731427]

For a glaze/sealant with no cleaning or abrasives I would go with a blue. If I wanted a little additional cut I would go with the black like when using some AIO's or PB Black Hole and White Diamond.