PDA

View Full Version : sticky polish

Chito
08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
hi, newbie here. had a wierd experience while polishing my car with Optimum Finish. I use a rotary with 7.5 inch LC CCS pads. After washing and claying my car, i used optimum polish II with an orange pad with no problems. Next I tried using Optimum Finish with an LC gold kompressor pad to "jewel" the paint. However, the pad seemed to drag across the paint making it spin slowly and my rotary was getting hot. Swi tched to a blue LC CCS pad but same thing happened. I have never experienced this the various polishes, waxes, and sealants I have. I tried misting the pad with QD but no improvement. What happened?

ihaveacamaro
08-29-2012, 11:26 AM
maybe too little product? I'm sure people more experienced than me will chime in soon.

swanicyouth
08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
It sounds like too much polish, too little polish, or too much heat. I just used this polish with no/little issue. However, I was using a DA with a grey LC 5.5" CCS Smart pad. But, since you tried multiple pads, that's probably not the issue. I noticed when I used this specific polish you need very very little polish to get the job done. I think I may have experienced a little of what you are talking about towards the end of the polishing session, and it was because I added too much polish I'm sure.

I started with a fresh pad and added a spray and a half of detail spray. Then I primed the pad very very lightly with the OFP. Just enough to change the color of the top of the pad, not to soak into the pad at all. Then I used 3 pea size drops for a larger section pass. This polish seems to work forever, so on subsequent passes I only added 2 pea size drops. Towards the end I was getting sloppy adding more.

If this doesnt work, maybe add a few drops of mineral oil on the pad?

RaskyR1
08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Is the paint getting extremely hot too? Do you get pad hop? Have you tried other finishing polishes? How about a smaller sized pad?