PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Xterra Cargo Rack

StarGazer
05-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi All,

New guy with a new Xterra and need some advice on just what the rack on top would need?

Thanks,
Pat

ScottB
05-19-2006, 04:34 PM
If its like mine, painted black, then a good wax/sealant can be used. If it is faded you can polish. Just remember its matte black, and will never take on a particulary shiny appearance.

StarGazer
05-19-2006, 04:49 PM
thanks,

BTW

Does any one know the outgassing properties of Natty's Blue? I'm considering protecting my scope but I'm concerned with the possible downside to the coatings on the optics - very delicate.:confused:

Pat

StarGazer
05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry

I meant to say Natty's reg. - White scope after all. I'm going with Natty's Blue over EX-P for the 'X'.

Pat

Neothin
05-19-2006, 09:07 PM
I personally wouldn't use anything on the lense except the proper cleaning cloth and cleaning solution.

StarGazer
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope that was a joke. You're not even recommended to clean these optics under any but the most extreme circumstaces and then only with a special solution. The coatings are literally sub-micron thick.

I was thinking of the tube body.

Pat

Neothin
05-19-2006, 09:21 PM
i don't know anything about telescopes... but i do know that the lense is very sensitive... hence the " proper cleaning cloth and cleaning solution"

as for the body, i wouldn't really worry about it. with all the covers over the lenses during storage, none of the outgassings will be able to reach the lense. When you do use the telescope, it will be outside and there will be at least a little bit of air movement to sweep the outgassings away. the amount that is actually going to be given off is so small, i really wouldn't worry about it though.

StarGazer
05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I'll ponder further. I'm really touchy about my optics.

I use the optic solution on the X's glass. Nice stuff and homemade cheep. Leaves no trace at all.

Pat