PDA

View Full Version : Strange claying process

Pages : [1] 2

Johny B
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi,
I went to a pro detailer lthis morning. He was claying a car before removing the swirls. I have noticed that he was using soapy water with the clay instead of the usual lubricant. He told me "I will never buy expensive lubricant again" and I've clayed tons of cars with best results than using lubicant.He was using blue Riccardo clay bar with soapy water obtained from Mothers California Gold car wash.
What do you think about this method?
Regards,
Johny

cleanmycorolla
08-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I've seen people use a soapy mix with success, and I've see/heard some were it marred the heck out of the paint. It kind of all depends on the paint. Just like the polishing process.

Me, I always use ONR for my clay lube. I'll clay 2-3 times/year with my daily driver I need it. Heck sometimes I won't even polish yearly and I'll jusy clay, as we all know keeping a daily driver swirl free is impossible...thankfully, my car is a light metallic color, so you have to hit just the right light to see my swirls. Those with black cars, driven daily, I wouldn't want to be them.

fredcandetail
08-28-2012, 03:22 PM
nothing strange about it at all .... soapy sudsy water can provide more lubrication than ONR

darkangelism
08-28-2012, 04:35 PM
If he is polishing it probably doesnt matter as the polish will fix any marring from the clay.

mhphoto
08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Soapy water is what I've used for over ten years. Never have had a problem with marring.

bsirbu
08-28-2012, 04:50 PM
The reason I used ONR is because from experience it has never degraded the clay. The same can't be said about soapy water. Every time I used car wash soap the clay started disintegrating after doing half the car. I can't say about Mother's soap though.

JAF06SE
08-28-2012, 05:08 PM
I've used soapy water before. I can honestly say I think it was better than using a QD. I've just had bottles of Mother's QD laying around and that's my favorite for claying with a QD. I'll probably switch to soapy water next time since I'm out now. So no it's not strange at all.

sahrcar
08-28-2012, 05:13 PM
No issues there. The riccardo claybar is a very high quality clay. I dont use it cause its expensive to obtain. The mothers wash would provide a sudsy lubrication. As long as he had already washed it first there shouldnt be any issues. Its usually a good thing not to use soapy water with clay bars as the soap will quickly degrade the clay and its not fun trying to work with auto clay thats falling apart as it dries out & thickening up on you

BobbyG
08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
1oz liquid car wash soap + 32oz water = clay lubricant...

rustytruck
08-28-2012, 06:19 PM
He was claying the car before he removed the swirls.

That is the correct order.

Danube
08-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Nothing wrong with using soapy water instead of onr, and using Blu Tack instead of any clay on the market. I know of at least 10 detailers doing this with excellent results; I'm one of them ;-))

Johny B
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Danube,

Are you talking about Blu Tack which is a reusable putty-like pressure-sensitive adhesive?
Regards,
Johny

statusdetailing
08-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Nothing weird. I use soapy water as well. Works fine

What is blu tac?

statusdetailing
08-28-2012, 11:47 PM
never mind. I looked it up. Interesting...I've heard of guys using modeling clay as well. Most of it sucks though...it's super sticky and falls apart, but apparently there are some brands work.

swanicyouth
08-28-2012, 11:56 PM
I remember a long time ago when they first started selling clay some of the manufacturers recommended soapy solution OR detail spray for claying. Then in the past so many years, you just stopped seeing that recommendation. I guess they realized they could either sell more QD, sell a special "clay lube", or soap can break clay down and diminish its life.