PDA

View Full Version : clear coat or?

subi
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey everyone, so I was applying vinyl wrap onto my vehicle and the extra vinyl hung over my roof top and since its sticky naturally stuck to my pillar and i just lifted it up and this happened...

Right side pillar
http://i47.tinypic.com/2p6rr.jpg

Right side front fender
http://i46.tinypic.com/2yls47l.jpg

I did a complete detail glaze, sealent, and wax about 2 weeks ago before applying the vinyl if that makes a difference? I don't know what will happen with those applied and not stripped if something sticky touches it and you lift it, because i stripped all the wax and sealent off the hood and roof before applying the vinyl and every time I lifted it up nothing like that came off, but i didnt degrease either pillar or fenders and only the passenger side this happened, not the driver. If you glide your finger over it hard it basically pushes and lifts a little bit. Any ideas? Thanks.

Y2KSVT
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah buddy, that's definitely clear coat. I had the same thing happening with my old '01 Lincoln LS around the rear Lincoln Star emblem. It was slowly flaking off, the more things came in contact with it. I believe the car had some body work done so it was probably from a bad respray. My guess with your vehicle, unless you can confirm 100% that it's never had body work done, is that your vehicle had a bad respray on that side of the vehicle, which would explain why the clearcoat removal is happening only on that one side.

Unfortunately, there's no "easy" or "cheap" remedy unless you want to get a Maaco paint job, but be prepared to do some prep work on your own to cut some costs.

timaishu
08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Definitelty clear coat. Was your car ever repainted?

subi
08-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Ahhhh damn.. Yeah I can't 100% confirm that, had one previous owner didn't mention anything of that, but he probably had some work done to it then. Never was in a accident though. My buddy who details for a job came and checked it out and said it looked/felt like there was another layer of clearcoat underneath it?

@timaishu
Not that I know of looks like the factory paint job to me.

Y2KSVT
08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry Subi, I know that's not the answer you were hoping for. Sounds like the original owner didn't disclose everything to you. If you're basing the notion that it wasn't in any accidents off of a Carfax, it may benefit you to know that they aren't always accurate. What year/make is the vehicle in question? If it's newer and I were you, I'd be curious to know why it was repainted, assuming that it was.

subi
08-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeahhh damn haha. Thanks a lot though! It's a 05 Subaru WRX in great condition though until this :P

BobbyG
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately this is a classic example of poor surface preparation prior to painting.

Degreasing and sanding are paramount to the fresh paint mechanically attaching itself to the old layer of paint. While the new paint is soft, additional coats may be applied to achieve the desired build thickness, color, and gloss.

timaishu
08-28-2012, 12:47 PM
It is possible that it could be factory clear. My fenders clearcoat began to bubble. I took masking tape and was able to rip it off pretty easily. Do you know if there was any bubbling before hand? It would look slighly lighter in color.

subi
08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks BobbyG, so when I go to get it redone all there gonna have to do is strip all the clear off and redo it? Or are they gonna have to strip everything because it was poorly prepped and it will just happen again? Don't know much about painting and clearing. Just so I can picture in my head the price range

@Tim no bubbling or anything at all it looked really mint