PDA

View Full Version : Baby Oil & Meg's 105

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rencor
08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
This week-end with nothing to do because of Tropical Storm Isaac keeping us indoors, what better thing to do than detail your car!

I started Friday night washing & claying the car. Prepping for correction work on Saturday & Sunday.

I started with Meg's 105 and quickly remembered two of its flaws. Short buffing cycle & dusting. Right out of the gate with a fresh pad. After the first pass I called a friend with many years of detailing experience. He suggested trying baby oil. Though he himself never personally tried it, he's heard of other who have. Hopped on google to see how people were applying baby oil/mineral oil to the process. Spritzing the pad was the most common way. At this point I was either throwing away the Meg's or gonna try & salvage it.

Thank God I tried it! Works like a charm! Virtually ZERO dusting and a much longer buffing cycle! I only needed to spritz the pad once (and very lightly) per pannel (twice for the hood and roof). I used fresh pads for each pannel.

The other benefits I realized are that I used a lot less product and the process sped up. Prior to using the baby oil, I had to work a small section, use more product, work a another small section - use more product. By the time I got half through a pannel, needed to clean the pad & get the caked up compound off. With using the oil, I was able use much less product and had pads that were not a caked up mess.

Just thought I would share an already known trick out there that I used with excellent result:xyxthumbs:

Impressions
08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Great tip Rene!
I haven't tried it yet and have been meaning to, next Camaro or Corvette.
Have you tried cleaning your pads yet? Just wondering if cleanup is any more difficult

Rencor
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Robert, cleaning pads wasd a breeze. No difference in cleaning procedure. Besides, the amount of oil used is miniscule.

mhphoto
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Interesting!

Great tip Rene!
I haven't tried it yet and have been meaning to, next Camaro or Corvette.
Have you tried cleaning your pads yet? Just wondering if cleanup is any more difficult

What I'm wondering, too.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2012, 01:29 PM
After the first pass I called a friend with many years of detailing experience. He suggested trying baby oil.

Though he himself never personally tried it, he's heard of other who have.

Yeah I know that guy, he's such a slacker...

:D

Impressions
08-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks Rene

Yeah I know that guy, he's such a slacker...

:D
I was just thinking the same thing Mike!

BobbyG
08-27-2012, 01:36 PM
It's a suggestion that some balk at but I'm here to tell you it does work....and your pads are not only easy to clean but smell great too! :laughing:

Rencor
08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
It's better than throwing out a bottle you dislike due to dusting. Those that balk at probably hear the horror stories of people applying too much oil then experience hydro-planning.

Rsurfer
08-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Haven't used baby oil in a 100 years. The last time I saw a bottle, you had to pour it out. How do you spray it? Seems to be too thick to spray.
It's better than throwing out a bottle you dislike due to dusting. Those that balk at probably hear the horror stories of people applying too much oil then experience hydro-planning.

ShineTimeDetail
08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Seems to be too thick to spray.

+1

Rencor
08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Poured it an a spray bottle. Adjusted the nozzle to get a fine mist. Worked perfectly.

wgilles
08-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Very interesting. I love 105 so I may have to try this. I usually just use a little bit of water.

VISITOR
08-27-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/29674-cure-m105-s-short-working-time-dusting-issues.html

Flash Gordon
08-27-2012, 03:46 PM
I must be weird or something, but nothing is sexier to me then a car covered in 105 dust. It all washes away super easy

rwright
08-27-2012, 05:43 PM
So you used oil in place of water to re-activate the polish? Did you notice any filling taking place or reduction of cut? What about IPA wipes between polishes - take longer, no difference, use more towels?