PDA

View Full Version : Sign-up - Honda Extreme Makeover with Duragloss!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Lawalker
08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Looking forward to this project!

Klasse Act
08-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Sounds like your going to need something with some serious cut, not sure if there's a DG product for that but I/we trust Mike and crew with work wonders with DG products...."the underdog champion of the world";-)

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

davidc
08-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Sounds like your going to need something with some serious cut, not sure if there's a DG product for that but I/we trust Mike and crew with work wonders with DG products...."the underdog champion of the world";-)

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

I have confidence DG will work out. I used 652 on oxidized gel coat and it cleaned up very well. I am sure it can handle oxidized paint.

Dave

Mike Phillips
08-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Here's the end-results, I'll post all the before, process and after shots tomorrow in a new thread plus the videos we took....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1529/DuraglossExtremeMakover004.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Smurf
08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
OMG it's got some shine there Mike :dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

How did the pads hold up with all that dead paint

kevin39208
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Hey Mike, I noticed that it only took you a little over 4 hours to perform an awesome transformation. Does that just come with experience? I believe it would've taken me about 7 or 8 hours to do that. Great job

rwright
08-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Not bad considering the products used contain minimal abrasives. That is of course if only the products pictured were used. Looks like it could use either a full wet sand session or at least some compounding.

MikeAOK
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Here's the end-results, I'll post all the before, process and after shots tomorrow in a new thread plus the videos we took....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1529/DuraglossExtremeMakover004.jpg

Wow. Great job Mike. I'm sure she was very excited with the results. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Mike, I noticed that it only took you a little over 4 hours to perform an awesome transformation. Does that just come with experience? I believe it would've taken me about 7 or 8 hours to do that. Great job

If I were doing this by myself it would have taken me all day. For all these project I open the doors to our forum members and most of the time I have a pretty good team of both experienced detailers and people new to detailing all ready to join in the fun.

Here you go...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1529/CoralsHonda035.jpg

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Here's the link to all the before, process and after pictures...

Pictures & Videos: 2003 Honda Civic Extreme Makeover - Duragloss (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-autogeek-s-car-week/54803-pictures-videos-2003-honda-civic-extreme-makover-duragloss.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Not bad considering the products used contain minimal abrasives. That is of course if only the products pictured were used.

This car had an inexpensive paint job and the paint was single stage and soft which is the norm for most single stage paint, not all but most.

Looks like it could use either a full wet sand session or at least some compounding.

Not by this guy.... I was scared to use the 501 on it with a rotary buffer because with metallic single stage paint you're buffing right on the flake itself and if you buff just a little too much you completely change the appearance of the paint.

Jeff and I did some buffing on the hood and trunk lid using the rotary buffer where most of the oxidation was but as soon as we felt we had the oxidation removed we turned the rotary buffers off and switched over to DA Polishers...

The finish still has places that look "mottled" but experience has taught me when working on a paint job of questionable quality, don't press your luck.

I took a few videos and the last one is a walk-around of the end results and if you look closely you can see the splotchy/mottled look to the metallic flake in the hood.

Still, the car came in looking horrible and left with a smooth, hard shine.

The car sits outside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so I might have Coral bring it back, re-polish it lightly and then seal it with the GTechniq EXO and see how that works out since it's a single stage finish.

Also here windshield has the normal wiper scratches from wind blown sand from the ocean so I'm also going to have her bring the car back to polish out the scratches on the glass.

We used the Duragloss Nu-Glass to remove the water spots but to remove scratches "in" the glass we'll need a Cerium Oxide based glass polish.

:)

rwright
08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification Mike! I remember reading about a low quality paint job but missed that it was single stage. I wasn't implying anything bad so please don't take it that way, I was just guessing based on the picture.

Mike Phillips
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification Mike! I remember reading about a low quality paint job but missed that it was single stage. I wasn't implying anything bad so please don't take it that way, I was just guessing based on the picture.

No problems buddy...

I was surprised to see that the car had a single stage paint but it made sense because of the extreme oxidation.

Clear coats will oxidize but much more slowly than singles stage paints and gel-coats.

The 501 is for removing oxidation on gel-coats and that's pretty much the same kind of chopping work we were doing to the single stage paint on this Honda.

At least Coral won't have to deal with clearcoat failure and in this regard I kind of like single stage paint as you can fix oxidation, you cannot fix clearcoat failure.