PDA

View Full Version : What on Earth is this??? Please help

Pages : [1] 2

magna_power
08-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Guys, my girlfriend had someone smash into her car, so off to the shop it went under the insurance. When it came back it had several patches of badness on the bonnet :( I don't think the bonnet was replaced but it may have been sprayed to colour match the front quarter, which was smashed. Is it overspray? Is it not cured properly? I have no idea, please help, I'd like to know before talking with them, so I know when they lie to me.

Thanks in advance :)

habeba86
08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I would say wet sanding markes from a machine.

rider9195
08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I would say wet sanding markes from a machine.

:iagree:

I would use a microfiber applicator pad with some polish and rub on those spots. If they appear to be removed, then it probably was sanding marks.

weekendwarrior
08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't touch it. I'd take the photographs to the insurance company to document the damage this "pro" body shop did to you vehicle. Demand resolution including repaint of damaged area. If you have a biz give estimate for repair to GF to give to insurance company. This is a seperate claim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AG Online

magna_power
08-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I won't be touching it, want the insurance to deal with it (as you said) but wanted to know what had happened, so that I know how badly the "pros" lie to me about it. My GF will send them the pics today I believe. I may be stepping in to talk to people if she gets fed up with what she is getting told.

mwoolfso
08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I would say, in general, that those areas were missed by the body shop. Hopefully those areas were supposed to be touched in the first place.

Kristopher1129
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Just looks like a haze to me. Which could mean many things. But, I would guess it wasn't compounded after sanding. It's hard to tell just by the photos.

magna_power
08-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. It's actually hard to see the marks in normal light, they are there but you have to be looking closely. I had to get the car under my "detailing lights" to actually take the pictures.

My GF is going to ask for a full list of everything they replaced/painted, so hopefully that will shed some light on what is going on. My guess is they stuffed something up and quickly tried to hide it, ie overspray or something (complete guess).

Hopefully have some more info soon!

timaishu
08-27-2012, 02:21 AM
Looks like sanding marks to me.

You could probably remove it yourself if you really wanted. But I would shoot for the claim because that is garbage work for a "pro".

BobbyG
08-27-2012, 06:15 AM
It's hard to know exactly what caused these blemishes but in the third photo I see what appears to be dried droplets which could be sanding residue.

I'm shocked that any paint shop would allow such poor quality work to leave the premises. As others mentioned, take several quality photos closely scrutinize the rest of the car for substandard work... Take the car back to the shop and also notify the insurance company...

I'm curious, did the insurance company recommend them?

magna_power
08-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Was taken back today (Oz time) by my GF. Guy looked at it, was like, wow, that shouldn't have left like that, they haven't polished it properly, the whole bonnet will need to be redone.

So, we shall see what it comes back like this time, hopefully better :S

Complaint will go into insurancec either way, this sort of thing really shouldn't happen, especially when 95% of people wouldn't have even picked it up! So annoying!

Thanks again for everyonwes help, I'll post up pics later in the week of the "final" repair lol

magna_power
08-27-2012, 06:19 AM
hey bobbyG great synchronised posting there by us ;)

to answer your last question, they are one repair shop on a list for the insurance company, so yeah, recommened/preferred/authorised.

mwoolfso
08-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Not for anything but the body shop did the right thing in terms of addressing this problem; time will tell if they will run the car through their process again or add some additional inspection steps this time around. Those shops are run by humans just like any other company; sometimes people just make a mistake. I suspect they had an apprentice work on the car and no one else inspected their work.

At the Volkswagen dealership where I had wanted a very minor paint-loss defect fixed, the specific fix involved breaking off a plastic trim piece and replacing it (since it was glued), and also repainting the defect; which required the entire rear deck lid to ensure a good blend of the paint was achieved. Initially, I was somewhat please and relieved to hear they were keeping the car an extra day because the initial paint application did not blend well enough with the rest of the car; and they wanted to redo the whole lid again. I wasn't happy, but I liked the fact that they had a sense of quality assurance in their work.

Unfortunately, the body shop had the car 3 more times over the course of a month. Aside from the initial repaint action, beyond that it was easy to tell that no supervisor or service manager inspected the results. There was also a stupid cost avoidance decision made on the part of the dealership that didn't pan out either so I had to hold everyone accountable each step of the way.

Each person in the chain expected "the process" will produce the desired expectation; as if they were flipping burgers at McD's. Each time I went to pick up my car, I noticed problems within 10 seconds.

I didn't have a problem with the body shop per se. I had a problem with the 3-5 sets of supervisory eyes at the body shop and the dealership that should have inspected the areas worked on before I was informed the work was completed.

I displayed extreme patience, fortunate for them I work from home. When that wasn't working I had to literally tell them how to do their job in this area of quality assurance, "I expect each of you to inspect this vehicle as if it were your own and ensure what you told me you were going to do, happened". It certainly became a painful experience for them since I was filling out surveys each time and I figure those surveys went to Volkswagen corporate. :-)

All-in-all, they did the right thing eventually and I developed a couple of additional relationships out of the whole affair. I appreciated the fact that not once did they try to b.s. me. They took accountability every time there was an issue. It was not a hack job mentality I was noting, just ineffective management.

Best of luck to you as this gets cleaned up.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2012, 07:24 AM
Please keep us updated.

In this picture, it looks kind of like patches of stuck on compound residue or some type of liquid that pooled and dried on the paint.

I could be sanding marks but since the patches have somewhat distinct round borders it would have to have been done using something like a #" sanding disc on a 3" Griot's Mini Polisher to leave that kind of appearance.

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/46341-griot-s-3-mini-polisher-works-great-3-dampsander.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1377/3inchdampsanding002.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

magna_power
08-28-2012, 07:54 AM
So it came back today, with some issues looking better, but not really fixed at all (as I kinda expected). It came back with water spots all over it, i couldn't believe that to start with! They have left marring (i think) where the original marks were that they have tried to fix. there is also a little hole/crater on the bonnet, there is paint over it so i'm not sure what is going on with it.... there is also still at least one bad patch, that was the same at the patches on the bonnet, just under the wing mirror.

Next step will be to the insurance company, any insight you guys can provide would be great, i've taken a bunch of photos but some of it is just difficult to capture.

All I can say is we gave the shop a second chance, and they tried, but they ultimately failed, disapointing really.