PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU care for Matte Paint Finishes

LuxuryMobile
08-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Like the title says...

How would you care for a matte paint finish?

Interested in which wash products and especially what should be used for protection. I am most likely going to be picking up a new vehicle in the next few days (if Hurricane Isaac doesn't wash me away) that has a matte finish to it. The paint really looks great but I am concerned about what to use for protection besides the costly Swissvax product.

Any advice would be helpful!

Buckskincolt
08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I understand Gtechinq EXO can be used on Matte finishes.

david79z28
08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I wash them with the same shampoo I use on the rest of the car. for protection, I like Chemical Guys matte detailer. Leaves a nice matte finish.

LuxuryMobile
08-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm not sold on the Chemical Guys spray detailer leaving sufficient protection. I appreciate the response though. I do think it is a must have product for matte paints just not because of the protective properties.

LuxuryMobile
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
The Gtechniq EXO looks like great stuff. Was hoping for a paste or liquid product but would still consider that if it's my best option. Thanks!

umi000
08-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Swissvax has an Opaque line which includes a a pre-wax cleaner, paste wax and QD. Chemical Guys has their Meticulous Matte Detailer (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-meticulous-matte-detailer.html). Those are the products that I know of made specifically for matte finishes.

mg6045
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I used swissvax matte pre-cleaner and wax for this car (owner bought and owns the products). before that I did an ONR wash + clay at the same time, and a 50/50 IPA wipedown.

I've worked on this car a lot and most all rinseless wash's work well and dont streak on the car as well as most QD'ers. Basically avoid anything that will stain trim. most matte manufacturers say avoid all wax or anything with wax only because of what is traditionally sold as OTC products. Something like WG Fuzion actually works really well on matte cars. You really just have to do test spots like crazy. There is really no set rule book yet by detailers on matte finish's. but like I said a powder free wax like Fuzion and SSII actually work really well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Giorgi80/311523_10151959439175261_2100698864_n.jpg

hope that helps.

I have to be honest with you though, the swissvax opaque paste wax was an absolute joy to use. really such an easy product to work with. btw, its the only swissvax wax that is a WOWO.

LuxuryMobile
08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for sharing. Guess I'll just play around with it some. Try some different stuff and work with test spots.

RMM
08-27-2012, 09:40 AM
There is another line that has matte products: Dr. Beasley's. I have never used any of these kind of products though.
Matte paints have microscopic imperfections that inhibit the light from being reflected in a regular pattern (it's random instead). Since virtualy all products have some kind of filling effect, I think that those imperfections, over time, will be somewhat filled (and shine will start to appear): probably the matte products have components that also inhibit the paint from reflecting regularly...
I would like someone knowledgable to "enlighten" us!

Flannigan
08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a matte wrapped shop car and I have used the Chemical Guys wash to wash it, the CG Matte Detailer to touch it up between washes, and Swissvax Opaque to protect it. Now I have actially Opti-Guarded the car and it looks great. The OG didn't add any shine, and it still beads like I just applied a fresh layer of wax every time I wash it.