PDA

View Full Version : I Cry Foul on Product Working Time

Pages : [1] 2

BlackCoupe
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry, but I call "FOUL" on these videos and instructions that tell me to work the PCDA for "Three to five minutes with a quarter-size amount of product over a 2X2 area". I would be extremely interested to know in the H*** get that working time. Really -- who? Time it. I get one pass, maybe two if I spritz--and it is about a minute, absolute tops. Indoors.

Sevenrd
04-12-2007, 10:40 PM
What polish are you using? I know first-hand Optimum polishes can easily be worked for that long.

bambo2888
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
what products are you using? in all reality, you should be looking more at like 5-7 minutes for the same 2x2ft. area...

makes sure the car is cool to the touch, out of sunlight, and you spread the product at speed 3. then move up to a speed 5 with a slower movement for a pass. then finish up with speed 6 and slighty faster movement.

i use xmt in direct sunlight with no problems for 7 minutes, SOMETIMES needing a spray of lubricant (quick detailer).

BetaB
04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
jesus, do you guys spend like 3 hours buffing your car then, damn. I can not imagine spending 7 minutes in one section. What if you are doing 2-3 steps, that's a whole day, damn, y'all need a rotary.

Nuke33
04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Optimum can be worked that long....

Whitethunder46
04-12-2007, 11:09 PM
jesus, do you guys spend like 3 hours buffing your car then, damn. I can not imagine spending 7 minutes in one section. What if you are doing 2-3 steps, that's a whole day, damn, y'all need a rotary.

Many guys do spend close to 6-8 hours polishing w/ multiple steps.

If you are using good products, and are faimilar with pad/polish combo's you rarely need 2 steps with a PC.

I very much enjoy XMT polishes in the sun. They break down quickly but correct quickly. I can do an entire hood in about 5-8 minutes. Not bad considering that's usually the largest panel. Also, it's LSP ready after one combo.

ScottB
04-14-2007, 08:44 AM
your environment will place alot of control over product work time. Humditity, dampness, dryness all play a part.

BlackCoupe
04-14-2007, 12:58 PM
your environment will place alot of control over product work time. Humditity, dampness, dryness all play a part.

Palm Beach Gardens, bro. About same as you. I also suspect that engine heat, heat from the sun, gets the car heated up, and even though I am working in the garage, the retained heat it bakes the product.

BlackCoupe
04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Many guys do spend close to 6-8 hours polishing w/ multiple steps.

If you are using good products, and are faimilar with pad/polish combo's you rarely need 2 steps with a PC.

I very much enjoy XMT polishes in the sun. They break down quickly but correct quickly. I can do an entire hood in about 5-8 minutes. Not bad considering that's usually the largest panel. Also, it's LSP ready after one combo.

Ok. Good example. You said:

"I can do an entire hood in about 5-8 minutes."

I am gonna say that in an "entire hood", unless you are working on a Mini Cooper, we are talking about at least 5 2X2 areas. And you do a hood in 5-8 minutes, that is about 1 2X2 area in 1min to 1min 36 seconds. Are you using a rotary or a DA (cuz my post was about DA)? I am assumng you let the product break down (because of the diminshing abrasives, right)?

Grimm
04-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Takes me a good 30-45 minutes to do one step on my hood with a PC and Optimum.

Nica
04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Takes me a good 30-45 minutes to do one step on my hood with a PC and Optimum.

Yup, I agree with you Grimm. Mind you though, Optimum has longer working time and with the PC I can totally see you taking this long or perhaps even longer. I got a sample of the Optimum and using the rotary it definitely cuts down on time.

budman3
04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm going to take you up on your though BlackCoupe. I have always wondered how long I worked on each section but never actually timed myself... I can tell you this, it is well below 5 minutes per panel. Next detail I'll try to remember to time myself. I'll take a guess, when I work with SSR2.5 or XMT2, on the PC, on speed 6, in a garage in NH, I probably work it in maybe 1-2 minutes, just a guess though.

In all reality though, every product, every vehicle, every state, every weather condition could effect the work-in time of products.

BlackCoupe
04-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm going to take you up on your though BlackCoupe. I have always wondered how long I worked on each section but never actually timed myself... I can tell you this, it is well below 5 minutes per panel. Next detail I'll try to remember to time myself. I'll take a guess, when I work with SSR2.5 or XMT2, on the PC, on speed 6, in a garage in NH, I probably work it in maybe 1-2 minutes, just a guess though.

In all reality though, every product, every vehicle, every state, every weather condition could effect the work-in time of products.

Thoughts on Speed 6: To me, going from speed 5 to 6 is a much bigger change than any of the other speed changes (like 4 to 5, etc.) and it seems to want to mis-shape my pads and wants to tear them up, and kind of hop around. Am I alone in this?

scottgt
04-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Thoughts on Speed 6: To me, going from speed 5 to 6 is a much bigger change than any of the other speed changes (like 4 to 5, etc.) and it seems to want to mis-shape my pads and wants to tear them up, and kind of hop around. Am I alone in this?

haha..it is a big jump to the 6...if your on flat parts of the car its ok to use 6...but never 6 when you around edges or spoilers or licence plates...well the list goes on...just be carefull and you should be ok

AUdakota
04-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I noticed a major increase in work time between my XMT polishes and than with some optimum polishes I have. I am guessing that I work XMT 3 for about 3-5 minutes and I could easily work OC for 5-7