PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressing Applicator Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

70_Nova
08-26-2012, 12:30 AM
This question seems simple, but what is a really good tire dressing applicator because I feel like I'm wasting product. I prefer the endurance and look of tire gel but my foam tire dressing applicator seems to guzzle it when I put it on the foam. It just disappears and it seems like I use a lot of product to do a tire. I have been looking at the Carrand tire dressing brushes and the Flex Foam applicators. Both say they prevent the wasting of product, but does anybody have any suggestions for a good applicator?

GoldBl4d3
08-26-2012, 01:27 AM
I think its in your head a little man! Apply it in straight lines on your applicator. You want it to soak in the foam, that allows you to spread it. Dont apply harsh pressure of the applicator. Dont sit there and watch the dressing seem into the foam. Put on the dressing and get to it.

Also it would help if we knew what kind of dressing you were applying.

hoyt66
08-26-2012, 04:42 AM
This question seems simple, but what is a really good tire dressing applicator because I feel like I'm wasting product. I prefer the endurance and look of tire gel but my foam tire dressing applicator seems to guzzle it when I put it on the foam. It just disappears and it seems like I use a lot of product to do a tire. I have been looking at the Carrand tire dressing brushes and the Flex Foam applicators. Both say they prevent the wasting of product, but does anybody have any suggestions for a good applicator?

I used to use the tire applicators. I found them hard to control for both product amount

and application, especially on low profile tires. I now use the yellow wax

applicators....Love it!

Bunky
08-26-2012, 05:35 AM
If you store the applicators in a baggie, they will not dry out and semi-ready for the next use.

Shortspark
08-26-2012, 05:58 AM
A paint brush with fine, thin bristles that are tightly wound with a high concentration of bristles (thick but short with softest bristles you can find). Clean off with a rag after each use and store in a baggie. Perfect control especially around rims, cheap to purchase almost anywhere, don't have to wear rubber gloves on your hand, works with every product, won't waste dressing because you can spread it very thin if you wish just like you would paint which helps control the amount of gloss you want - bonus is a brush lasts a long, long time. The secret is finding a brush with short, fine bristles that are fairly tightly compacted together. Find the right brush and you'll never go back to a foam applicator.

BobbyG
08-26-2012, 06:07 AM
A paint brush with fine, thin bristles that are tightly wound with a high concentration of bristles (thick but short with softest bristles you can find).

BINGO!! :props:

hoyt66
08-26-2012, 06:27 AM
A paint brush with fine, thin bristles that are tightly wound with a high concentration of bristles (thick but short with softest bristles you can find). Clean off with a rag after each use and store in a baggie. Perfect control especially around rims, cheap to purchase almost anywhere, don't have to wear rubber gloves on your hand, works with every product, won't waste dressing because you can spread it very thin if you wish just like you would paint which helps control the amount of gloss you want - bonus is a brush lasts a long, long time. The secret is finding a brush with short, fine bristles that are fairly tightly compacted together. Find the right brush and you'll never go back to a foam applicator.

HMMMMM. I'm heading to H.D. today. Have to give it a try!

BobbyG
08-26-2012, 06:30 AM
HMMMMM. I'm heading to H.D. today. Have to give it a try!

Chet, when you start applying tire products using a ordinary paint brush you'll be scratching your head wondering why you only started now.....:laughing:

hoyt66
08-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Chet, when you start applying tire products using a ordinary paint brush you'll be scratching your head wondering why you only started now.....:laughing:

Bobby,

I'm sure I will. This tip make alot of sense. Specially for the "vertical" lines in my tire. Very excited to try it!

LF911PCR
08-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Wow...that is DEFINITELY a "why didn't I think of that".

70_Nova
08-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Well thanks for the tips, I will definitely have to give it a try.

Mayassa
08-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Great tip, what product works well with a brush?

Shortspark
08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
As I said in my previous post, all dressings that require application (as opposed to spray and walk away foams) work well with a paint brush. I like Meguiars Hot Shine and also their Endurance. With Hot Shine I spray it on the tire and work it in with the paint brush - you do not need much as the brush spreads it thin. The Endurance is a gel type liquid (at least it use to be) although I believe it now comes in both aerosol and a mister spray. With the gel I simply put several drops on the brush which is why I recommend a tightly knit brush in order to hold the gel in the bristles. I also use Protectant 303 on tires now and then and a brush is critical to spread out this product because it just sits where you spray it and does not dry uniformly like the dedicated tire dressings. Lately I've been trying Duragloss 265 because I can use it on everything, not just tires. I have found that I don't need to spread it out nearly as much as the other products. Just a light movement of the brush into the tire markings, lettering and design features is all you need if you use 265.

You may have to go through two or three different brushes until you find one that best fits your hand and works well with the specific product you choose. Don't worry about getting a pro painter's brush as the cheapos under five bucks work just as well (as long as the bristles are tightly woven) - remember, you are simply spreading tire dressing, not touching up a Rembrandt masterpiece here.

richy
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I have had great success using a small paint gun with my air compressor: very uniform look, quicker application to boot. Never going back to the old way again!!

rdf
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Paintbrush. What a genius idea. Also a Homer-type "d'oh!".
Thanks for the suggestion!