PDA

View Full Version : very stubborn overspray

Pages : [1] 2

timaishu
08-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I have opti-coated my roof 2 times now and it never stays. It seems to wash off and not bead the next wash.

Quick background: I re-cleared one of my fenders. Didnt mask off roof at first. Overspray travelled over over roof. I then layed plastic over it to prevent more from travelling over the roof. It has since sat for around 6 months until I decided to opti-coat my car. My roofs clearcoat is beginning to fail. So I wanted to opticoat to try and stop it.

I initially polished and clayed. Applied, opti-coat didnt stick. Thought it might be because I did not remove all the M205 and it caused it to not bond. I lightly polished the roof. Did all the IPA, OPC crap and applied again. Still no luck, the OC will not bond.

I thought back and remembered clear coating my fender. Talked to chris and he said that it could likely be the problem as OC will not bond to an unclean/non smooth surface. I did the baggy test today and my roof failed miserably..

So I am thinking that all along, it was the overspray that is the problem.

Okay. So the issue I am having now is I cannot get all the overspray off. I am using my most aggressive purple clay. I cannot hear or feel any catching or grinding like you do with normal fallout removal. The clay is simply gliding over the surface, and since the clear coat is clear, I cannot see any contaminents on the clay..

So I did the baggy test after claying, it felt a little smoother, but not by much. I then went at it a second time, and put around 5-10lbs of pressure and passion on the clay and went at it again overlapping many many times. Again, it feels a little better, but some spots are still very rough feeling through the baggy.

Geeks, do I need to just keep claying until its all gone? I mean, I am going over the same spots probably 20 times.

This stuff is really quite stuck to the paint. Luckily I am not instill any marring from claying so aggressively. But I am just not seeing a big improvement like when you normally clay a car.

How should I continue? I need this overspray gone so I can coat my roof.

pixelmonkey
08-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Mike from autogeek or Chris from Optimum would be the best to chime in on this topic.

My thoughts...
need some details about you car.
Is it parked outside regularly? at night? how many hours each day is it outdoors?

Have you polished the roof any since the over-spray problem?

Do you have a paint thickness gauge?

It's a crap shoot.

one last thing... since applying the opticoat, have you tried claying the roof of the car? Then testing to see if the water will bead?
*I only mention this due to a few people thinking their coating had disappeared, only to find debris had stuck to the opticoat and prevented water from beading.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

timaishu
08-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Its a 2005 Nissan Altima. Parked outside 24/7.

I have not since polished because it is too risky with the clearcoat failing. The water still does not bead very well. By that, I mean there are some random spots that show some beading properties. Which I am sure is from some OC remaining. The water does not sit flat like a completely stripped roof would. It is sort of in between beading and not beading. The water sits very randomly. I know the lack of beading is not from topical fallout. It has never beaded right from day one.

After all the claying I did today, the beading has not improved. I really think I need to remove this overspray and re-coat.

Here are some pictures I took awhile back of how the water behaves. I feel like a broken record. I have made so many threads about this roof. I just want to get it solved. And I think I finally figured it out. I just need to get this overspray off..
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing&#37;20Stuff/P1030611.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/covertmission/Detailing%20Stuff/P1030612.jpg

timaishu
08-26-2012, 01:07 PM
No one?

timaishu
08-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Feed back please

buddhadog
08-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Laquer thinner usually works pretty good getting over spray off or red clay magic.

Rsurfer
08-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Maybe a little sand paper?

timaishu
08-27-2012, 02:12 AM
Yes! The over spray is laquer based clear. I didnt even think to try laquer thinner.

Should I use a microfiber towel with it? Any chance it will effect my failing factory clear?

ReflectiveAuto
08-27-2012, 02:17 AM
I would say test it out on a small area of your roof...prep that area then test with with a water hose and see how it turns out.

Mike Phillips
08-27-2012, 07:11 AM
How should I continue? I need this overspray gone so I can coat my roof.

Hey Jacob,

I read your PM and now just read through this thread.

Where you at with this?

:xyxthumbs:

timaishu
08-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I have not touched it yet.

I left off after claying it two times. It still is not smooth.

My next plan is to try laquier thinner.

buddhadog
08-27-2012, 11:45 AM
If the overspray is laquer then goof off is safer then laquer thinner.Get the proffessional strength . Home depot carries it.

I do not know how it would affect already failing CC though.

timaishu
08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I just got done using the laquer thinner on my roof. It didnt seem to effect my paint which is good. My roof feels a bit smoother now. I then clayed it again and just laid down my final layer of opticoat.

Unfortunetly, my roof is now swirled again after all the agressive claying. But at this point, I could care less. I just want my roof protected. This is my final attempt with opticoat on my roof. I have spent to much time messing with it. If it sticks great! If not, then whatever.

buddhadog
08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I just got done using the laquer thinner on my roof. It didnt seem to effect my paint which is good. My roof feels a bit smoother now. I then clayed it again and just laid down my final layer of opticoat.

Unfortunetly, my roof is now swirled again after all the agressive claying. But at this point, I could care less. I just want my roof protected. This is my final attempt with opticoat on my roof. I have spent to much time messing with it. If it sticks great! If not, then whatever.
Good luck and hope its bonded well!

Blackthorn One
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
This is not water based house paint overspray. This is automotive paint overspray. I think you will need to sand it down with a stiff rubber pad. If the paint was super fresh you could clay it off, but at this point I think sanding must be done. Consider re clearing the roof.
Ahh, I just read that you took action. I think reclearing the whole roof is the only way to achieve a satisfactory result.