PDA

View Full Version : CCF on my 2003 G35 =(

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I noticed two bleached marks on the roof of my G35 the other week. One was a little smaller than dime size and the other a little smaller than pea size. It didnt look like CCF at the time, but wouldnt polish out either. Today after washing it, there is another little spot near them that looks like CCF.

This is so frustrating since this car is the posterchild for my detailing business. Guess it is time to save up for a paint job.

Argh!!:rant:

timaishu
08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the club. My 2005 altima is suffering the same fate on the roof and hood.

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
SO depressing man. And I am nervous about trusting any body shop with it. I just know I will be too picky and want it perfect, especially after shelling out all that money.

I wish back in 2005 when I bought it, I knew how to properly care for the paint and I may not be dealing with this right now.

Rsurfer
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
SO depressing man. And I am nervous about trusting any body shop with it. I just know I will be too picky and want it perfect, especially after shelling out all that money.

I wish back in 2005 when I bought it, I knew how to properly care for the paint and I may not be dealing with this right now.

It shouldn't cost too much to re-paint the top. Have you used a PTG to see how much clear you have on the rest of the car. In a way you are lucky it's the top which doesn't touch any other part of the panels, which might be hard to match.

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
true, i thought about that. but there are defects on every single other panel that i would want taken care of as well. but you are correct, i could get just those two panels(yes, i see it is two now) repainted. i do not have a PTG.

timaishu
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Dont blame yourself man. I think its just Nissan's paint sucks. As our cars are getting older, I am noticing more and more altima's and maxima's clearcoat failure.

If I were you, I would Opti-coat your whole car. It might slow down the process of failing. Thats what I am doing with my car.

Wheelzntoys
08-25-2012, 04:10 PM
:iagree:

Rsurfer
08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I don't agree. I have a 04 G35 and a 09 Altima. I have polished the hell out of the G and the clear is now thinning (80 microns average) If I didn't try to get the paint flawless, it would still have a lot of clear. The Altima on the other hand has about 110 microns on the average. I've learned to live with some of the marring and orange peel. BTW both cars are not covered 24/7. The moral of the story keep your paint protected and clean and it will serve you well.:dblthumb2:
Dont blame yourself man. I think its just Nissan's paint sucks. As our cars are getting older, I am noticing more and more altima's and maxima's clearcoat failure.

If I were you, I would Opti-coat your whole car. It might slow down the process of failing. Thats what I am doing with my car.

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 06:35 PM
right now, i am just beating myself up for not learning proper paint care earlier than 2 years ago. you live and you learn right.

i do not have any opti coat so i will continue to layer DG501 on that area.

timaishu
08-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't agree. I have a 04 G35 and a 09 Altima. I have polished the hell out of the G and the clear is now thinning (80 microns average) If I didn't try to get the paint flawless, it would still have a lot of clear. The Altima on the other hand has about 110 microns on the average. I've learned to live with some of the marring and orange peel. BTW both cars are not covered 24/7. The moral of the story keep your paint protected and clean and it will serve you well.:dblthumb2:

Im not referring to thickness. I mean, 99% of the cars out there that have failing clear are never wash/polish/waxed daily drivers. Yes, I am sure that neglecting your paint will speed up the process.

But our cars are not that old. To have the clear coat fail in only 7 is pretty pathetic. My old ford taurus clear started to haze up at the 13 year mark. And even that is early imo. I think its just something about the paint.

Rsurfer
08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda's being the worse, but all Japanese paint are thin. As I said before, keep it protected and it will serve you well.:xyxthumbs:
Im not referring to thickness. I mean, 99% of the cars out there that have failing clear are never wash/polish/waxed daily drivers. Yes, I am sure that neglecting your paint will speed up the process.

But our cars are not that old. To have the clear coat fail in only 7 is pretty pathetic. My old ford taurus clear started to haze up at the 13 year mark. And even that is early imo. I think its just something about the paint.

A.P.A.D.
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
:idea: maybe i will get a gloss black vinyl wrap on the top. it would flow with the sunroof and i would not have to paint the top panel.

ideas?

timaishu
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Thats actually a really good idea. I wonder how good, or bad, that would look with my paint color.

KneeDragr
08-27-2012, 07:44 PM
How does the clear fail when its not maintained?

Rsurfer
08-27-2012, 07:52 PM
When it's not maintained, the uv protectant wears and the clear coat is exposed and will slowly fail.
How does the clear fail when its not maintained?