PDA

View Full Version : Order of operation for Quick Detailer and Spray Wax

ninjamyst
08-25-2012, 06:22 AM
What's the order of operation when applying Spray Wax plus Quick Detailer and how long do I have to wait in between?

I am planning to do:

Car wash with NXT
Optimum Car Wax
how long to wait??
Quick Detailer

The reason I am asking is because I read an article where the poster applied a layer of quick detailer first and then the spray wax. I always thought it was the other way around.

Bunky
08-25-2012, 06:26 AM
I would not use a detailer until I washed it again.

Why do you think you need to use a detailer following Optimum Car Wax?

ninjamyst
08-25-2012, 07:30 AM
Been reading too many forums and some people say to apply QD as a final step.

So i only need to do wash + optimum car wax the first time. Next wash, I can just do Quick Detailer. 3 months or so later, OCW again after wash.

mwoolfso
08-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Wash and QD accomplish the same goal in 2 different ways if your intention is to remove dirt. Depending on weather conditiions and the time in between the wash and wax steps, I may do QD on a panel before I wax it. As to the time between OCW applications, its up to you as there is no one guideline with a spray wax.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Meticulous-Detail
08-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree with others with skipping the QD, but if you want to a test spot and see if you see a difference in gloss and shine. The reason I say this is that I notice on my grabber blue Shelby that after sealant and wax (curing time allowed) if I do a final wipe with Megs LT QD it adds a nice wet look. This doesn't seem to work on my other vehicles though, so try it out.

umi000
08-25-2012, 03:35 PM
I would wash, use the QD as a drying aid, and then apply OCW. Or you could just use OCW as your drying aid, though durability is likely to be adversely affected if used on a wet surface.

drbobbybones
08-25-2012, 05:08 PM
+1 to skipping the QD. If I QD after a wax, I wait at least 12 hours to let the wax cure.

mg6045
08-25-2012, 07:37 PM
IF i remember correctly Optimum stated that in 30 minutes there spray wax is fully cure and has bonded completely. This was in a review thread where OPT spray wax was being tested for durability. They said wait 30 minutes before taking pictures showing water beading.

Klasse Act
08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I agree about waiting to use QD after washes for sure, no need after applying your LSP, well unless you apply too much and then you'd use the QD to remove the excess. The use of a good QD maintains the longevity of the LSP, so its a good idea to add this step to every wash or every other wash if you can't swing it all the time. If you like how the car stays looking good using it after every wash, well, I'd buy some rinseless wash and make up a gallon as QD, it will save you money in the long run and help keep your car looking its very best all the time......we all want that, right!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Hatchman
08-26-2012, 03:54 AM
I agree with above. Skip the QD after the LSP, and apply after your next wash(es).