PDA

View Full Version : Good pad and polish combos for Porter Cable on 07 BMW

The Moose
08-24-2012, 05:58 PM
my new wife has a pretty nice bmw with painfully neglected paint. We just got married and move in together 2 weeks ago and finally both our cars are garage kept. My 04 ram is in fantastic shape and spends 95% of its life parked in the garage while i drive my company truck. Her car however is a different story. We got it used about a year ago with 37,000 miles on the clock, and it appears that the previous owner, like many BMW lessee's, only took it to the automatic car wash, and only did so about once a month. There are the usual hood dings and iron spots but the thing that really kills me is the scratches and swirls on the hood... Because it is white it doesn't show some of the time, but while washing it and Klasse AIO'ing it for the first time today (probably the first wax its seen in quite a while) it became obvious it would need a lot more.

I have some meguiars swirl remover 2.0 and an orange css pad, but doing it by hand that just didnt seem to cut it. My friend has my Porter cable DA and I'm going to try that this weekend. But I'm also ordering a bunch of other odds and ends (Iron X, another Cobra Guzzler, etc etc) and wanted to get some new pads... I am partial to 4 inch pads because i typically do everything by hand (with polishin pal) and only use the PC when needed.

My topping combo of choice is Klasse AIO and Poorboy EX-P, then either more EX-P, Pinnacle Souveran or Mothers Pure Carnuba...

Do you think a pair of yellow or orange 4 inch pads is too small to do her hood? It seems like the 6 inch orange's i have for the PC tend to overwork the motor and it isn't as smooth as I feel it should be, so i thought the 4 inch would be nice for hand uses, and for minimizing load on the PC.

I realize there's a lot going on in this post, so thank you in advance.

Long story short... I think she has Scratch resistant clear coat like the Camaro done this week on the live broadcast, her scratches etc look almost exactly the same. I'll get some pictures if needed, but like i said, on the white paint, its hard to get anything good...

looks very similar to this kind of damage
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1516/2012CamaroFin017.jpg