PDA

View Full Version : Help!

johnZ71
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Worked on a 99 GMC Conversion Van today.....the dash has some fake wood grain trim.....I wiped this trim down with water only and at the end of the day....there are spots on the trim that are cloudy! Looks Bad....

hOW CAN i FIX THIS?Feed back please

weekendwarrior
08-24-2012, 05:48 PM
How much water? If it got behind the molding, its probably fogging there now. Can you try to wipe away with a proper interior trim product? If you don;t have that do you have diluted APC to interior trim strength ? If you don;t have that can you mix up some Dawn and hot water and wipe away with a MF (don't soak the MF, just dab a corner in the solution).

BobbyG
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Worked on a 99 GMC Conversion Van today.....the dash has some fake wood grain trim.....I wiped this trim down with water only and at the end of the day....there are spots on the trim that are cloudy! Looks Bad....

hOW CAN i FIX THIS?Feed back please

John,

Most of this trim is as you indicated, fake. I suspect that the water softened some protectant and or grime and left it the way you mentioned.

Grab some all purpose cleaner and spray it on a clean cloth. Go over the affected area repeatedly until the surface is even and uniform. Once the trim's dry apply a product like Aerospace 303 or Meguiar's M40. This should make a big improvement...:props:

johnZ71
08-24-2012, 06:57 PM
thanks guys....I will try your recommendations in the am. I cant help but think that applying any more liquid (apc..etc.) will make it worse?????

Someone mentioned polishing with Megs. PlastX???

johnZ71
08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
How much water? If it got behind the molding, its probably fogging there now. Can you try to wipe away with a proper interior trim product? If you don;t have that do you have diluted APC to interior trim strength ? If you don;t have that can you mix up some Dawn and hot water and wipe away with a MF (don't soak the MF, just dab a corner in the solution).

Which APC would you recommend? Dawn and Hot water I can do.....it just seems like putting liquid on this trim caused the problmem....putting more liquid on it scares me.

johnZ71
08-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Its almost like the "fogging" is behind the laquer....like it somehow got in between the wood and the clear coating????

weekendwarrior
08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
What do you have? Just try any APC dilluted to proper strength, I use Meguiars. Mostly on my interiors though I've been using Meguiars #40 Vinyl and Rubber lately. I like that especially on dash and electronics. Just spray on your MF first, not on the fake trim, don't soak it.

johnZ71
08-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Sh*t...my son, who was helping me just told me that he might have used a microfiber that had mean green or Armor all on it...to wipe his side of the trim...

Now what?

Vegas Transplant
08-25-2012, 12:58 PM
A day late and a dollar short. What was the outcome?

I seriously doubt that AA or MG removed or penetrated the finish.

Is it possible that you simply removed the 'shine' that was hiding a previous dull spot.
It may be possible that the area had a 'rub' that hazed the finish.

If however something more sinister (e.g. solvent) was on the mf, then you may have an issue.

An aerosol spray interior shine product may do the trick, whether online or OTC.
Spray on, wipe off excess.