PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: Major Swirling on Headlights after using 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Ironman
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I need everyone's input on how to correct some moderate damage incurred on my father's vehicle after using 3M's Headlight Lens Restoration System (3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, headlight polishing kit, restore yellow headlights, 3M plastic polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-headlight-kit.html)).

I can't tell you exactly what he did or how it happened with the 3M kit, since I didn't help him, but I have attached a photo of his lens after using the 3M kits and following the directions to the T. This photo also reflects my attempt to correct the swirls with my Lake Country CCS Orange Cutting Pad and Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. The WG swirl remover and orange cutting pad got rid of some of the swirls but as you can see below, the swirls are still there. Also, you really can't feel the swirls as you rub your hands across the lens, so I'm thinking they aren't too deep.

It's become obvious to me that the sanding pads are what ruined the headlight. Also, my orange cutting pad and WG swirl remover didn't work.

What are my options for getting rid of the swirls? I am by no means an experienced detailer, but I have a general idea of how to detail my own cars and I get good results. So, I'm listing a few options of what I think could correct the problem. I just need some input into what would be the quickest, easiest way to get the lens back to normal (without replacing it).

1. Diamondite Clear Plastic System Kit; just not sure if it will get rid of the existing swirls on the lens. I know it will for sure get rid of yellowing and oxidation.

2. Purchasing a Lake Country YELLOW CCS cutting pad and some type of rubbing compound. If this is an option, what is the best compound to use with the yellow pad? Maybe the yellow pad is enough to get rid of the swirls.

3. Wet sanding with sand paper like Meguiars, then following with wolfgang total swirl remover and yellow pad, then a finishing glaze with a white pad.

Just some thought and I appreciate input from the forums.

Thanks,

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm110/garzamd/DSC02943.jpg

mhphoto
08-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Looks like the subsequent steps weren't carried out for long enough, i.e. the 800 wasn't used for the length of time needed to sand the 500 marks, and so on. He also could've gotten a contaminated disc that put those in. I'd use what's left of the kit and start from scratch with the 500 grit and make sure every part of the lens is thuroughly worked through, then do the 800 for even longer, then the 3000 for even longer. Then use the included cutting pad (or one of your cutting pads; just use a rotary, not DA) and see where that gets you.

paskett
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
I agree, just start the process over and work it good!

A-train
08-24-2012, 09:09 PM
First I would go heavier that Wolfgang TSR. If you had 105 or 205 I would give that a shot. If that didn't work then drop down to 2500 grit and re wetsand the light. Since you said you can't feel the scratches and they appear mild in the pic I just do not see the need to start over.
If a customer brought that vehicle to me in the condition and said they wanted a headlight restoration I would not start with 500 grit sand paper. I think you can get the results your looking for with some stronger compounds and light sanding at most.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

rider9195
08-24-2012, 09:17 PM
First I would go heavier that Wolfgang TSR. If you had 105 or 205 I would give that a shot. If that didn't work then drop down to 2500 grit and re wetsand the light. Since you said you can't feel the scratches and they appear mild in the pic I just do not see the need to start over.

:iagree:

Do some fine sanding and try the Total Swirl Remover with an orange pad and see if that works. If not, get some M105 locally and try that.

ray6
08-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Looks like he used a drill to sand them. Disk became loaded with removed material and caused swirl marks. Redo the sanding starting with 500 grit and use wet sanding with Dawn added to the water. Do not use excessive force. Use lighter pressure and clean the disk often.
ray6

Ironman
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Want to thank everyone for their input. I think I am going to go the M105/205 route with a bit more aggressive pad. Of course, I could always take it into a professional and have it repaired, but I might actually enjoy trying to restore my dads headlights back to original look. I am going to do my best to avoid any sanding, mainly because I don't really have much experience sanding.

thanks again,

master detailer
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
some head lights have a clear plastic cover on them and will look like this if you dont sand them the wright way.is it turning a little yelo looking ?

Ironman
08-26-2012, 12:29 AM
some head lights have a clear plastic cover on them and will look like this if you dont sand them the wright way.is it turning a little yelo looking ?

Actually, oxidation & yellowing were the initial reason why my dad used the 3M headlight kit. He got rid of the oxidation, but is one left with swirls.