PDA

View Full Version : Remove dealer sticker from 91 Firebird???

Pages : [1] 2

dnoraker
08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
My 91 Firebird that I recently re-acquired still has the original dealership sticker on the bumper. I bought it from the original owner and didn't know how to take the sticker off at the time, or I would have done that. However, now that I recently bought it back from the third owner, I've gotten a little sentimental about the sticker and want opinions about taking it off.

As a rule, I ALWAYS take them off my cars and usually for detailing customers. But this one has me torn. The dealership doesn't exist anymore, and I didn't buy it there, so I'm toward taking it off.

What do YOU think?

On a side note, check out the tape line showing before and after of the taillights and center plastic piece. 171,xxx miles to buff away! (new thread to come when I'm done...)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_9348.JPG

tuscarora dave
08-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Warm it up a little with a hair dryer or a heat gun then simply peel off the lettering lightly using your finger nail. They typically come off rather easy when slightly warmed up. If you get them too hot then they become a bit difficult to remove and leave more adhesive behind. A little WD-40 or mineral spirits should easily remove any adhesive that is left behind.

dnoraker
08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Warm it up a little with a hair dryer or a heat gun then simply peel off the lettering lightly using your finger nail. They typically come off rather easy when slightly warmed up. If you get them too hot then they become a bit difficult to remove and leave more adhesive behind. A little WD-40 or mineral spirits should easily remove any adhesive that is left behind.

Oh...sorry...that's not what I meant. I actually know how to do it now, but I'm just wondering about leaving it on for sentimental reasons. I don't imagine it does anything for collectibility, especially since it's already a high-mile car.

HotRodJoe
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
That's a tough call. I can't tell from the pic how "vintage" it looks vs. just something that any used car dealer might have put on. I still have the trunk lid chrome metal dealer emblem from my '57, but I just hang it on the wall. It's up to you, man!

dnoraker
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM
That's a tough call. I can't tell from the pic how "vintage" it looks vs. just something that any used car dealer might have put on. I still have the trunk lid chrome metal dealer emblem from my '57, but I just hang it on the wall. It's up to you, man!

I wish it was one of those emblems I could peel off intact.

It's really just plan vinyl lettering and doesn't look all that cool. It's actually kind of bright on the bumper compared to the "Formula" sticker on the right, which is why I'm leaning toward taking it off.

HotRodJoe
08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I'd go with taking it off, then. Doesn't sound like it is a very cool sticker in its own right.

MadMerc
08-24-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd remove it. It doesn't look right to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

GS2011
08-24-2012, 12:02 PM
I'd remove it. It doesn't look right to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

:iagree:

DaHen
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Take it off, take it off. :xyxthumbs:

dnoraker
08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm taking it off.

The little bit of nostalgia was outweighed once I looked at it enough times and realized it just looked dumb on there.

timaishu
08-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Yes, definitely take it off. No matter how much I like a dealer, or enjoy their service, I will never advertise for them on my car.

Dr Oldz
08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I would ditch it also! I never liked those stickers on vehicles.

DaHen
08-25-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm taking it off.

Good. You won't regret it.

:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
The car looks a lot better without them so I'd remove it if it were mine...

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 07:40 AM
Remove it!:xyxthumbs:

it would give the car a cleaner look.

nice job on the taillight! great 50/50 shot. did your 5 year old do that for you? (im hoping you were the one who posted the video yesterday or im gonna feel like an idiot! lol)