PDA

View Full Version : Thought it was my wash technique

Dadillac
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
So I have been getting straight line fine scratches on my car whenever I wash it (think straight swirls). I have bought many different mitts thinking they were causing the scratches. then it dawned on me. Where I work it is a dust bowl. The company has a trucking yard that is layered in loose asphalt millings. I am sure that the dust produced in this yard (which is quite a lot) is much more coarse than typical dust. I always spray the car down before washing but still get scratching. What would you guys suggest for me and my issue? And please do not suggest changing jobs. Although it would solve the issue it isn't going to happen

Don

timaishu
08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Only thing I can think of is taking it through a drive thru touchless wash. It wont remove it all, but it will give you a cleaner surface to do a proper hand wash.

AutowerxDetailing
08-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Perhaps a preliminary foam and rinse before letting the wash mitt touch the paint? Basically along the same lines as a touchless wash except it will probably preserve your LSP if you use your own pH balanced soap instead of the acidic stuff at your typical touchless wash.

umi000
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Are you using a pressure washer? If not, I would really recommend getting one - the pressurized water is more effective at dislodging grit than a simple hose, and really makes a difference when pre-washing.

psnt1ol
08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
So I have been getting straight line fine scratches on my car whenever I wash it (think straight swirls). I have bought many different mitts thinking they were causing the scratches. then it dawned on me. Where I work it is a dust bowl. The company has a trucking yard that is layered in loose asphalt millings. I am sure that the dust produced in this yard (which is quite a lot) is much more coarse than typical dust. I always spray the car down before washing but still get scratching. What would you guys suggest for me and my issue? And please do not suggest changing jobs. Although it would solve the issue it isn't going to happen

Don

I feel your pain..... I live 2 blocks from the beach and I have a Black car with soft paint. Sometimes I think I will get a scratch if I sneeze on it too hard. Note to self..... get a silver car next time.

I am noticing that I am getting much much less defects since I started to do a Foam pre-wash.

Rsurfer
08-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Perhaps a preliminary foam and rinse before letting the wash mitt touch the paint? Basically along the same lines as a touchless wash except it will probably preserve your LSP if you use your own pH balanced soap instead of the acidic stuff at your typical touchless wash.
:iagree:Pre-soak with the foam gun and then do a 2 bucket wash.:xyxthumbs:

A-train
08-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I would presoak with UWW before attemting to remove by hose or a wash. This will at least encapsilate the dirt and give it some lubrication to help the dirt slide of a little more safely.