PDA

View Full Version : Blog / Webpage Etiquette

KJW Detailing
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm presently building my webpage and within it is a blog. I would like to write various articles that address proper technique, tools used, etc. What I'm wondering, is whether or not its acceptable to talk about specific products? I.E. post a blog that examines the differences between waxes and sealants, naming several products and possible posting a pic. Or writing an article on the TBWM and Foam Gun, again, listing what I use, why, and the posting of a pic.

Any legal reasons I should stay away from any of the above?

Thanks!

cleanmycorolla
08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
I dont think there's any legal recourse unless you're slandering the owners by name who make the product, but there should be no such issues really.

But, why would you do this? Why would you want to give away your tricks of the trade? At least don't give up all your seceret tips or your clients will wind up doing their own details. :)

wgilles
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
I always try to keep things "generic" so that if a potential customer sees my video or post they may be more inclined to inquire about services from me. For example, I recently did a video about water sheeting and just showed how it worked. I said that a "properly" maintained and waxes car will sheet water better and reduce labor in drying a car.

Also, I showed a short video on how to do a baggie test and that having your car professionally detailed can remove contaminants from paint and make your car look better.

If I reference products, I usually just say "I use a sealant" or "I use wax"
My logic behind this is that if an uninformed customer "googles" car sealant, they might become overwhelmed at the choices available and seek detailing from a pro detailer, like myself.

KJW Detailing
08-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't spell everything out, just explain certain techniques and why they are employed. I like the example of sheeting the water off topic.