PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for wet sanding repaired paint chips and small scratches?

Grifftech
08-23-2012, 08:32 AM
So I am wanting to tackle wet sanding and try to get some of the paint chips and scratches that are really annoying me.

I have tried Dr. Colorchip and it doesn't give me the finish that I want so I am thinking about putting in the touch up paint let it dry and wet sand to get a nice smooth finish but am not sure on produxts needed.

What items and brands would you recommend?

I assume different grits of paper from 2000 grit to 5000, sanding block, anything else?

Also machine sanding is for much larger areas correct, like orange peel correction?

Thanks,
Chris

KillaCam
08-31-2012, 09:37 PM
I would also like to know. Bump.

MikeAOK
08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
I would also like to know. Bump.

I second that bump 👍

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Blackthorn One
08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
For feathering the chip before painting, you can use 1000-1500. After the paint cures, you use 1500, to 2000 to 2500 and then polish or use 3000 and then polish. 3000 is the finest you would use for paint. There are industrial papers that go up to 6000, but there is no point in using that for paint. It would not do much, and would likely load up with paint and scratch more than it made it smooth.
After it cures, put water in a spray bottle with a drop of car wash soap in it to reduce the loading of the paper. Spray the area well while sanding and check your paper often for little particles of paint on it. Use another piece of the same grit of paper to clean your paper with, to prolong it's use. Spray the paper with water first as a lube and cleaning solution.

After you sand the area to blend it with the surrounding paint, I would polish the area by hand in that area. lastly, you can use a machine to get the area perfectly even.

Meguiar's makes excellent paper in the higher grits like 2500 and 3000. Soak the paper in water before use as directed.

oldmodman
09-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Here is a general answer about sanding that I just posted on SVTperformance in the detailing section.

Go to a local auto body shop and see if they have a junk hood, fender, or trunk lid that they will give you.

Then just start practicing on it. But first go onto YouTube and look at some of the tens of thousands of vids on body work.

That's what I did when I first started doing sanding. And I use both a rotary and a random orbital to sand. I have used both 3M and Meguiar's sanding discs as well as sheet paper on a block.

Practice with both wet and dry paper.

You will soon get a feel for sanding. Just remember that any sanding is going to decrease the lifespan of the paint. The clear is the only source of UV protection. Make it too thin and the paint could start to fail in just a few months.

I also used my test hood to try new compounds and other detailing products.
I even sanded one down so that all the clear was gone to test a few cans of spray clear. Some good, some worthless, and a couple were great.
The great ones are a two part clear just like what a professional paint shop uses. It looks like a normal spray can but before you use it you depress a button on the bottom of the can which releases the hardener. You only have a short amount of time to use the entire can. But it's worth it.

And one last thing before you go and try sanding on a "real car"
Get a paint thickness gauge. They cost from $150.00 to to thousands.

KillaCam
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Has anyone had experience with automotive touch up? I'm guessing the best idea would be to fill in the chip with color paint, then add clear on top. I was planning on taping off the areas around the chip so I don't wetsand the other parts of the clear coat to minimize how much paint I take off in the surrounding areas. I just want paint that is going to last.

Blackthorn One
09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Has anyone had experience with automotive touch up? I'm guessing the best idea would be to fill in the chip with color paint, then add clear on top. I was planning on taping off the areas around the chip so I don't wetsand the other parts of the clear coat to minimize how much paint I take off in the surrounding areas. I just want paint that is going to last.
That is an excellent approach.

ShineMyCar
09-01-2012, 05:55 PM
I have tried Dr. Colorchip and it doesn't give me the finish that I want so I am thinking about putting in the touch up paint let it dry and wet sand to get a nice smooth finish but am not sure on produxts needed.

Have you tried the Langka chip repair kit?

I'm thinking of picking that up. I have a paint chip I need to repair before Winter kicks in. I'm thinking about trying this product. Watched the application video on Youtube and it looks pretty simple.

Rsurfer
09-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Have you tried the Langka chip repair kit?

I'm thinking of picking that up. I have a paint chip I need to repair before Winter kicks in. I'm thinking about trying this product. Watched the application video on Youtube and it looks pretty simple.

Looks simple, but didn't work for me. Did it the old fashioned way...wet sand and buff.