PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaners, learned something...I think

scooterguitar
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
So, I have always only did personal and friends' vehicles since getting into this thing years ago, never recall any having chrome wheels.
My new Colorado has nice chrome wheels. Now I've always used an all wheel cleaner or diluted purple power, etc on wheels. So now I have these chrome ones I figured I needed specific cleaner for chrome...and I always figured chrome cleaner was gentler.
So I go to the store to purchase a chrome wheel cleaner last night, looking at the Meg's line I saw a chart which indicated that their chrome cleaner was the strongest. All this time I thought the opposite, go figure. So I didn't buy any. My wheels are fine (as they are new and I've kept them nice with just soap)...

My question is: if they aren't an issue and if I would need something stronger than soap...will most any OTC all purpose wheel cleaner work safely on chrome?
Thanks

JonMiles
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
For chrome wheels, just spend a day pulling them off and doing a full detail. Clean the inside and outside thoroughly with something like sonax, clay, polish to perfection, and finally put a coating on them like cquartz or opti-coat. From then on, you can just wash with car wash soap and water, never worrying about using a wheel cleaner again. For my personal vehicles, I always spend a few days doing a "perfect" detail and using nothing but the most durable products for all surfaces. After the first detail, everything is just easy to take care of.

KyleGates
08-22-2012, 04:02 PM
When I had the chrome wheels on my truck, I removed them every winter. So in the spring I always gave them one initial "deep cleaning" with chrome wheel cleaner. I then waxed them and they got soap and water after that. Never needed anything more.