PDA

View Full Version : Need a recommendation for a little more aggressive clay

Mc'lovin
08-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

Last week I clayed my car thoroughly with Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay, and while I thought it did the job, today after washing my car I did the baggie test and felt that there are still contaminants on the paint.

I'm guessing I need a more aggressive clay for these contaminants, but I don't want to purchase a clay bar which is too aggressive, since my car's paint is a little soft.

I would love to hear which brand you guys can recommend for this purpose.

Another question - Will claying harm my two coats of sealant I have recently layered?

Thanks!!

Meticulous-Detail
08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Meg's medium blue clay is more aggressive then the ultra fine clay.

4AudiQ
08-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I used the new 3D Nano Prep Towel (with rubberized backing) instead of the clay, and it passed with the baggie test.
Though in several spots I went over the paint to many times and it transferred some of the rubber backing onto the paint, usually at a bend in the metal, like an edge.
I used lots of lube.
I am very pleased with the results.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Meg's medium blue clay is more aggressive then the ultra fine clay.

+1. Megs blue clay is outstanding and will pull up whatever will be on a daily driver. If you need more oomph pick up Megs red clay but I doubt you will need it.

matryx
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM
How about using iron x then try claying it again. I haven't personally tried it myself but i've been hearing a lot about it.

Kevin Cullen
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Another question - Will claying harm my two coats of sealant I have recently layered?

To anwser this here is a thread. Short anwser is yes it will.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/49124-clay-doesn-t-remove-wax-sealant-coats-does.html

JAF06SE
08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Another one for Meg's blue clay. Love it. It's the only clay I will by from now on most likely beings the vehicles I maintain are DD's. And yes the clay will strip whatever you have on the paint so you will need to reseal it.

Twister
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I use Blackfire clay and I think it works well at removing contamination. I was using Mothers clay but it was too fine for some stuff.

D_Nyholm
08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I personally use the Mothers Clay you can get at your local auto store. It works well, you get two bricks, and it also comes with lube and a towel. It has never let me down yet.

I use the Pinnacle on my personal cars as they never really have many contaminants and it is a very gentle clay, the Mothers Clay may leave some fine marring behind when you use it, so be certain to polish afterward.

Mc'lovin
08-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the recommendations!

Is meg's blue clay this one - Meguiars Professional Auto Detailing Clay, meguiars C2000 clay bar, Detail Clay cleans better than polishes! Clean your car with Meguiars Detailing (http://www.autogeek.net/megovclay.html) ?
Because on the label it states "mild" - so is this mild or medium grade clay?

Thanks again :)

AutowerxDetailing
08-22-2012, 03:17 PM
How about using iron x then try claying it again. I haven't personally tried it myself but i've been hearing a lot about it.

Once you try it you will never want to clay without it. Let Iron-X do work... then clay. You will cut your claying time in half and your clay will not get as dirty as normal.

Meticulous-Detail
08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the recommendations!

Is meg's blue clay this one - Meguiars Professional Auto Detailing Clay, meguiars C2000 clay bar, Detail Clay cleans better than polishes! Clean your car with Meguiars Detailing (http://www.autogeek.net/megovclay.html) ?
Because on the label it states "mild" - so is this mild or medium grade clay?

Thanks again :)

Meg's white clay is fine clay

Meg's blue is mild or medium clay

Meg's red is an aggressive clay

neat e34
08-23-2012, 01:57 AM
I use the DP as a medium clay & have had no problems.