PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Meguiar's BP for their MF pads?

pcw25
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Do I actually need the Meguiar's backing plate for their microfiber cutting discs? Also, how does the system work on soft clear? Is the D300/MF cutting disc too aggressive for my neighbors black Honda Accord? The car has about medium swirls with some scratches. Any answers are helpful! :props:

Belair
08-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Yes you need Megs BP for the discs. D300 is not too aggressive if your technique is not too aggressive; slow and cautious is the way to go, & clean the pad often.

pcw25
08-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes you need Megs BP for the discs.

Will the pad not adhere to a different BP, or would my results be poor?

RZJZA80
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM
The Megs backing plate has a different hook and loop system than other backing plates like the Lake Country ones, but any will work fine, and I use both for MF pads. The only difference I've noticed is that it's easier to remove pads from the Megs backing plate, the Lake Country backing plate is much more "sticky".

wgilles
08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Will the megs backing plate fit into a 7424xp?

Audi X2
08-22-2012, 12:31 PM

Yes, it will :xyxthumbs:

Morphiusrt
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I have LC BP and it works fine. Like mentioned before sticks like crazy. I haven't tried the megs so cant say much for that.

Mike Phillips
08-22-2012, 02:02 PM
One of the points I make in my how-to book on pages 52 to 54.

When possible, match the backing plate to the foam pad as it relates to the type of hook-n-loop material being used.

One simple thing you can do is to purchase backing plates and foam pads from the same manufacture and the majority of the time this will prevent any mismatch issues as most reputable companies do their homework and ensure they are using the correct hook-n-loop materials for both their backing plates and their pads.

It's pretty easy to figure out that a quality company is going to ensure the hood design on their backing plate matches the loop design on the back of their pad.
It's possible that some companies are use similar types of hook-n-loop material but if you don't know for sure, then if you're using Lake Country pads get a Lake Country backing plate. IF you're using Meguiar's pads, use a Meguiar's backing plate.

3 Types of hooks

J-Hooks
Barb or Mushroom Hooks
Micro-Hooks

And then there's varieties in the different types.

Most hooks will attach to most loops, that's not the same thing as having a combination of hook-n-loop materials that are optimized for each other but if the BIG PICTURE is to not have the pad simply fall off the backing plate then any of the backing plates we sell at Autogeek will work with all the pads we sell.

The Meguiar's backing plate uses micro hooks to reduce the distance between the backing plate and the pad which in turn reduces heat build-up. Longer hook-n-loop material allows more wiggling between the pad and the backing plate which increases friction which increases heat and also wears the hook and loop material.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-22-2012, 02:04 PM

Answer is here too with pictures...

5 inch Backing Plates on Meguiar's, Griot's and Porter Cable DA Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/48668-5-inch-backing-plates-meguiar-s-griot-s-porter-cable-da-polishers.html)

All the DA Backing Plates on the Autogeek.net store have a 5/16" threaded stud that looks like you see in this picture,

This is a Compression Washer - Don't lose it and don't use any backing plate without it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1423/5inchbackingpatesonDAPs013.jpg

:)