PDA

View Full Version : my guzzlers seem to just push water around now

Pages : [1] 2

BrandonJ
08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
once they get fairly wet they attempt to absorb some water. my only thought is i washed them with towels i removed wax with or buffed spray waxes with. could that be the culprit

yank194
08-22-2012, 09:23 AM
I wash the guzzlers w/other towels all time and haven't had a problem. I wash all my towels twice: once w/soap and then again w/o soap. I think I read Mike does this to make sure all the product is removed from the towels. I'm on my phone, otherwise I would try and find it on the forum.

truckbutt
08-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I wash my towels in regular cycle, cool water with a cup of ZEP Citrus Degreaser, double rinse, and they come out without any residue.

beantown
08-22-2012, 12:50 PM
It could be residual detergent that remains after washing the towels.

Also, believe it or not, when drying at car, a damp mf will aborb water much more than a completely dry one.

Sent via Tapatalk

Meghan
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Any chance they got washed with some fabric softener, that will cause that every time.

BobbyG
08-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Just wash them again separately, rinse well, and dry them without dryer sheets or a softener of any kind. The more I used my Guzzlers the better they worked!

4AudiQ
08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Also, dry them in the dryer on the lowest heat available or air only.
I was using heat (gas) and mine were doing the same thing. They have since improved their holding capability.

Dr Oldz
08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
I have had the same issue with some WW towels. Soak them in very hot water with some Optimum Power Clean. Then rinse of throw back in the washer. You will be suprised how the absorbency come back after doing this.

ScottB
08-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I use very hot water and about about two ounces of an APC along with the standard MF cleaner when they seem to be less absorbent. Often due to other towels or spray waxes.

drbobbybones
08-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Any chance they got washed with some fabric softener, that will cause that every time.

:iagree:

Blackthorn One
08-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Absolutely. Fabric softener makes a towel useless. You can't even dry yourself off with a bath towel treated with fabric softener. The slime of the fabric softener coats the fibers of the towel, which prevents water absorption.

BrandonJ
08-22-2012, 06:50 PM
thanks guys. i never use fabric softner. tide free. I think its the numerous washes with towels that have been exposed to waxes and sealants. i will try soaking them in apc + and go from there

mg6045
08-22-2012, 07:30 PM
It could be residual detergent that remains after washing the towels.

Also, believe it or not, when drying at car, a damp mf will aborb water much more than a completely dry one.

Sent via Tapatalk

bingo on the last statement. damp and wrung out MF's are not only more absorbent but are more paint safe.

hoyt66
08-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Great thread! I was coming on here tonight to post about the same thing. Just tried to

use my guzzler and it was useless until it got a little damp. Good advice to get it wet first.

BrandonJ
08-25-2012, 01:27 PM
the whole damp this is pointless to me. once these get wet there done. Mine used to just "guzzle" water as soon as i began drying and when the towel was dry