PDA

View Full Version : engine compartment detail

Pages : [1] 2

wangotango
08-21-2012, 07:31 PM
I've seen the DP product engine compartment detail video but I was wondering what everyone's engine favorites are.
As far as a brush, cleaner-degreaser, treatment, etc. what would be the three things that would be your "go to" products/tools for engine detailing.

Appreciate the input.

timaishu
08-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I use diluted optimum power clean, long handle brush(similar to the daytona brush), and then a leaf blower to blow off the rinse water.

rmagnus
08-21-2012, 07:40 PM
For the washing I use diluted simple green. For tough spots I'll go full strength. This product is pretty amazing kinda rediscovered all the different uses for it.

steve swafford
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I use very little water,just enough to wet the engine. Spray amazing roll-off or meguires apc+. Let soak a couple of minutes ,use a brush to get in the tight spaces a rag can be used to do most of it plus the inside of the hood. Blow dry with a leaf blower then i spay either Sonus trim and motor kote or detailers pro trim spray.

Robert8194
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I use OPC at 4.1 with Daytona brush (small) and Dupray steamer. I spray and let sit and then steam and brush, steam again. In some cases I will mist the engine and then blow dry with air compressor and Tornador blow gun. Dress with PERL and it looks great.

umi000
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
For the washing I use diluted simple green. For tough spots I'll go full strength. This product is pretty amazing kinda rediscovered all the different uses for it.

Just be aware that standard Simple Green can discolor and possibly corrode aluminum.

rmagnus
08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Just be aware that standard Simple Green can discolor and possibly corrode aluminum.

Yep good point hasn't been an issue so far however. Before getting Meg's APO+ to try I stepped in grease and transferred it to my floor mat diluted simple green took the grease out in a flash.

wangotango
08-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Xlnt info so far, thank you.
Got a gallon of Meg APC+ and simple green, no blower.
Do have a compressor though...guh?
Looks like I'd like to try some OPC and get a few more brushes.

steve swafford - (Sonus trim and motor kote or detailers pro trim spray) are spray on wipe off?

More fond of the satin or flat look.
Do these products bring that?

primo spaghetti
08-22-2012, 07:15 PM

interesting point...thanks for letting us know.

i use simple green or mean green and both work great....but at what cost i now ask myself.

ive read other having good luck with zep citrus and purple....but ive yet to try it..maybe now that simple green might cause issues, i should rush out the the depot and get some!

wangotango
08-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Tks all!
-robert8194 that Dupray unit is a pretty nice machine from what I just read. And the PERL is a spray/wipe on wipe off or just leave product?

Gonna be making a purchase totaly related to engine/wheels detail quickly(brushes, cleaners, etc) so I appreciate ALL the efforts.

c5errr
08-23-2012, 05:30 AM
megs APC 4:1

BobbyG
08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
Here you go!

Cleaning

Optimum Power Clean
Meguiar's Super Degreaser
Assorted brushes
Hot water

Drying

Metro Blaster Side Kick

Treatment

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing
CarPro PERL
Wolfgang Rubber & Trim
Gunk Engine Protector

RhetoricMixes
08-23-2012, 08:06 AM
My go to method is to spray the engine with water first then spray on some Chemical Guys Extreme Orange degreaser and let it sit for a bit, then agitate with assorted brushes and towels. Then ill rinse off with either a hose or ONR (whichever im using at the time). Il let it dry for a few minutes then ill apply my preferred trim product.

wangotango
08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
You folks kick-ass!
Thanks for the info....

steve swafford
08-23-2012, 09:02 PM
The Detailers pro trim spray is just spray and walk away,no wiping,it is shiney.
The Sonus trim and motor kote is a spray and wait a few minutes and then wipe off excess(follow instructions on bottle) it is more of a satin finish.
Both products are made to withstand engine heat. Both do an excellent job and last a long time.