PDA

View Full Version : In-car computers at SEMA...

pixelmonkey
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
There were several products on display at the 2012 CES show that will make a re-appearance in just a few months at the 2012 SEMA show.

If any computer guru's out there want to chime in, feel free to get excited and post up!

The world of a car stereo has morphed over the last decade to include a proprietary OS and packaged navigation DVD with many new vehicles. Owners of vehicles that include a system like this are required to purchase a new DVD each year to have a portion of the new roads and intersections display on the screen. Even then, portions of the maps are incorrect or lack the correct turns to be of use.

2012 saw the release of several inexpensive micro computers. Several variations were released with different specs. Some with a Linux based OS, others with an Android OS. Most of these systems were sold-out within moments of being released to the public on various sites. The majority of those fortunate enough to buy one upon their release, used the system as a media center at home.

With the sizes being equal to or less than a smart phone, application for the small computers expanded.

A vendor present at CES had on display several sizes of frame-less/ case-less touch screens. The ideas met and new in-car, inexpensive, and highly customizable computers were a viable reality.

On display will be several first release systems with all the functions of a cell phone.
- GPS with google maps/navigation
- music and video from multi-gig Micro SD memory cards.
- in dash USB ports for multi-gig jump drives
- in-evasive dash camera mounts synced with GPS info for accident review *if ever needed*
- Bluetooth connections with existing on-wheel controls.
- WiFi connections to connect to the lastest updates of apps

it's been asked what will be big this year at SEMA, and i'm thinking the biggest hit is going to all about on-board computers for 2012.

anyone else excited to see this?
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

S2K
08-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I think the technology is really cool but I don't understand why it is illegal to text or email on a cell phone while driving but most new cars have touch screens on the dash? What's the difference?

cleanmycorolla
08-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I have an in dash dvd unit in my car, that has 3G and Wifi abilities. I can even create a wifi hot spot for others to use. I listen to lots of Pandora this way! We do a lot of road travel, it helps for the long drives.

rider9195
08-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Someone over on the Corvette Forum put an iPad in his dash. Pretty cool if you ask me!