PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions of pads for simple wax on/off

FMINUS
04-11-2007, 11:07 PM
For my wife's car I like to just to a quick wax job, so which pad should I use for something like Zymbol or Black Magic Platinum liquid wax?

And which pad should I use to take the wax off?

I used to just use a towel to apply and a towel to take off, but now that I have a PC....

Whitethunder46
04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
For my wife's car I like to just to a quick wax job, so which pad should I use for something like Zymbol or Black Magic Platinum liquid wax?

And which pad should I use to take the wax off?

I used to just use a towel to apply and a towel to take off, but now that I have a PC....

I rarely use the PC to apply waxes, I use hand Megs foam applicator pads. Sometimes I'll buff od with PC and Edge white pad on speed 6 after the wax has flashed. Almost gives a melting effect into the paint.

Nuke33
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
To tell you the truth its easy to just buff it off with a MF towel, you can get MF bonnets but they need a clean dry pad that has some flex many people like to put it over a whool pad... But that cost more $$ and its not really work it.

Ditch the Black Magic Wax no offence... Try one of the nattys waxes Reg for light colors Blue for dark... Cheap and work great
Nattys (http://www.autogeek.net/pbnpw.html)
Nattys Blue (http://www.autogeek.net/nattys-blue.html)

orngez
04-11-2007, 11:26 PM
to apply the wax use either the LC gray or blue pad...if you have the edge system use the white pad or red pad...i always remove by hand with a mf towel..if you are using a good wax it is usually more work to remove it by machine than by hand...but if you want to remove by machine use a mf bonnet over any soft foam/wool pad...

FMINUS
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Whats the edge system? Just the edge pads? What makes them different from other pads?

D
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Edge pads are double sided, basically 2 pads in one. They have a hole in the center, so they will be centered perfectly every time. This also means they dont require a backing plate which can cause damage to the paint if it catches it.

I apply with a polishing pad and remove by hand using microfiber.

FMINUS
04-12-2007, 02:00 AM
So how do they hook to the PC?
And does it really have to be centered since its a random orbital anyways?
So I take it that in this case application is more important than removal?

orngez
04-12-2007, 02:28 AM
So how do they hook to the PC?
And does it really have to be centered since its a random orbital anyways?
So I take it that in this case application is more important than removal?

The edge pad system is basically a quick disconnect system for pads...requires a special adapter and the pads that go with it...centering is not cruicial on a porter cable...but it does help to lessen the vibrations...

Application and removal are both important steps...but what ever wax/sealant you use there are just two basic rules...thinner is better...and buff it all off with a quality microfiber towel...thats about it...

FMINUS
04-12-2007, 02:48 AM
thinner is better huh? Is that the case with polish too?

D
04-12-2007, 08:27 AM
You dont use very much polish either. About a nickel size per 2x2 ft. section.

Nica
04-12-2007, 08:41 AM
You dont use very much polish either. About a nickel size per 2x2 ft. section.

:iagree: when polishing think small area and small amount of polish. The Edge 2000 pads are good pads on PC and on a rotary.

Oh and as for applying wax with the PC, I too prefer to apply by hand and remove by hand...just personal preference that's all.

ejflanag
04-12-2007, 09:16 AM
i personaly feel its quiker to apply wax with the pc and then i just remove by hand

BetaB
04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I like the consitency that comes with using the PC and pads