PDA

View Full Version : Cloth to Remove Interior Dust Daily / Cleaning Clear Plastic?

TripleB
08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
This is my last new post for a while; I realize that in my haste to make sure I treat my brand new car right, I've posted waaaaaaaaaay too many times. I apologize for that!

So 2 last questions:

1) I've noticed that in my new car that I see many more dust particles on the dash/center console/etc. than I did on my old car...or maybe I just care more with the new car and ignored them in my old car. Anyway, what type of small (so I can put it in the glovebox and have it handy) cloth can I keep in my car to use to wipe off (not just move it around) the dust on a more frequent basis than when I detail the interior?

2) I'm not sure what the Kia place used to 'detail' my car before they gave it to me, but the clear plastic over my gauges has smudges and streaks all over them. What can I use to clean them so that I don't scratch that clear plastic?

Again, I appreciate all your tremendous help and apologize for all of my recent post.

TripleB

cleanmycorolla
08-20-2012, 01:16 PM
The answer to both your questions is a microfiber cloth and a small bottle of some interior cleaner/detailer

TripleB
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
The answer to both your questions is a microfiber cloth and a small bottle of some interior cleaner/detailer

Thanks for the input. Is there any type of cloth that does the job so I don't have to keep a small bottle of cleaner/detailer in my car?

Also, would I use the interior cleaner/detailer on the clear plastic as well or would I use a type of glass cleaner?

And last but not least: is there an Interior Cleaner/Detailer that will leave my dash looking exactly as it is now (ie: brand new)? I used one on a Mustang I had once and it make everything look too shiny and it seemed to have a 'oily/greasy' feel to it.

Again, I appreciate your help!!!

TripleB

tuscarora dave
08-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Don't be shy, post away. That's how we all get the answers we're looking for.

I liked the little yellow flannel wiping towels that Wal-Mart used to carry. Now that I have a thousand microfiber towels I just keep a few in the car for spot cleaning jobs. I usually have a small bottle of ONR with the towels in my car but it somehow always ends up back in the shop with the other stuff.

wgilles
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I keep a MF cloth in my glove box that I use to wipe down dust daily. I also use it to wipe down the plastic over the gauges, it cleans them up nicely and doesn't streak. I use one of the black with red rim MFs that they sell here.

This one: Microfiber Clean & Buff Towel, micro fiber towels, all purpose towels (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-clean-buff-towel.html)
It's on BOGO right now!!!

cleanmycorolla
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the input. Is there any type of cloth that does the job so I don't have to keep a small bottle of cleaner/detailer in my car?Any microfiber should do, quality ones will grab dust and such in their fibers.

Also, would I use the interior cleaner/detailer on the clear plastic as well or would I use a type of glass cleaner? depending what type of detailer you're suing some may streak on clear plastic. Usually a microfiber will be just fine for smudges and cleaning.

And last but not least: is there an Interior Cleaner/Detailer that will leave my dash looking exactly as it is now (ie: brand new)? I used one on a Mustang I had once and it make everything look too shiny and it seemed to have a 'oily/greasy' feel to it. I use chemical guys stuff and love their interior cleaners.

TripleB

:xyxthumbs:

FishyX
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Those Pledge dust wipe sheets do a really good job of holding on to dust. I always keep a few in my truck and just pitch them when they get dirty. I use the dry ones that have a citrus scent.

mswerb
08-20-2012, 07:49 PM
I keep a microfiber towel in the glovebox as well, but I also have the California Mini Duster. It works as the original California Duster but is meant for interiors.

allenk4
04-22-2013, 09:32 PM
SWIFFER without the handle.

I have one tucked above the visor.

Sinister Z06
04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
I always keep a microfiber towel, or two, in my car to quickly wipe it down if it gets dusty. THIS (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_ACC_M03_Dust_Monster_Duster_p/acc_m03.htm) is another viable alternative if you don't mind spending $15 for it. I have the larger version and it works great for getting light dust off the car.

WRXINXS
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
And last but not least: is there an Interior Cleaner/Detailer that will leave my dash looking exactly as it is now (ie: brand new)? I used one on a Mustang I had once and it make everything look too shiny and it seemed to have a 'oily/greasy' feel to it.

TripleB

Chemical Guys Inner Clean leaves a factory matte finish. It is not for heavy cleaning/protection but for weekly wipedowns it is great! Not sure if it can be used on clear plastics though.

Mazda.Mark
04-23-2013, 09:04 AM
SWIFFER without the handle.

I have one tucked above the visor.

+1

flamed03vert
04-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the input. Is there any type of cloth that does the job so I don't have to keep a small bottle of cleaner/detailer in my car?

Also, would I use the interior cleaner/detailer on the clear plastic as well or would I use a type of glass cleaner?

TripleB

I am a big fan of 303 Aerospace protectant myself. Leaves a nice clean silky matte finish on the dashes of my new Mazda's that have a rubbery type dash pad. As for the swiffer pad idea... that works really well. I used to do that in my old car all the time for quicky details.