PDA

View Full Version : Detailer?

TripleB
08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Please forgive my ignorance...over the past 27 years I've basically just washed my car (in the wrong manner I now discover) and then waxed it ever so often. So all these products to keep your car looking brand new are new to me.

Now that I have another new car (Black 2013 Kia Optima), I want to treat this one right.

So I see this product called 'Detailer' or 'Quick Detailer' or 'the Ultimate Detailer' that I've never used before.

Can someone please explain to this newbie:
1) Is it important to use?
2) What is its purpose?
3) When do you use it (ie: right after drying, etc)?
4) Can you "spot" detail to remove smudges/fingerprints or do you need to do the whole car?
5) Which kind do you recommend?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

TripleB

Mike Phillips
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM

I'm assuming you mean the Meguiar's Quik Detailer in the maroon bottle and the Ultimate Quik Detailer in the black bottle?

2) What is its purpose?
4) Can you "spot" detail to remove smudges/fingerprints or do you need to do the whole car?

TripleB

Quick Detailer is in a category of products referred to as "Mist & Wipe" products, that is you mist them on and then wipe them off.

Spray Detailers are for removing,

Light dust
Fingerprints
Smudges
And most can also be used as a clay lubricant (Read Manufactures Recommendations first)

I have an article on this topic, kind of in-depth but leaves no stone unturned. It can be found in my article list (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html) under the heading,

Spray Detailers

Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/23128-tips-techniques-using-spray-detailer-remove-light-dust-fingerprints-smudges.html)

Spray Detailers are very useful and handy for quickly maintaining that just detailed look but they are not a substitute for a normal coat of wax, a paint sealant or a coating.

The black bottle is the super hydrophobic version of the maroon bottle product, that is water fears the surface and will try to bead-up and get away from the paint.

Both a good products, the Quik Detailer has been on the market since 1981 and for all practical reasons was the first commercial spray detailer introduced to the consumer market.

Someone once told me that Autoint had one out before 1981 but if they did know one remembers or has an original bottle.

I have an original bottle of Quik Detailer in my collection but when it was first launched it was called, Trigger Wash.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/TriggerWash01.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/TriggerWash02.jpg

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
08-20-2012, 10:44 AM

It's more of a convenience product. You can get your car clean or keep your car clean without having to wash your car the normal way but you need to do this often unless the car is a Garage Queen because it's not for cleaning really dirty cars. SEE MY ARTICLE - I go into this in-depth.

2) What is its purpose?

Remove light dust, fingerprints, smudges and sometimes act as a clay lube.

On a dry car that is lightly dusty, after washing to restore gloss and shine and remove any water spots or washing residues. As a clay lube.

Definitely yes.

Maroon bottle for daily use. Black bottle for "Date Night"

We hope you find AGO to be the best detailing discussion forum on the Internet, thank you for joining.

:xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
These products are used for a few purposes: to help dry a CLEAN car without water spots, to remove LIGHT dust from a dry car, to remove finger prints and smudges on a freshly washed car, as a "lube" when "claying" (decontaminating) paint, as a shine booster on a clean car. You can use them to spot detail and remove fingerprints, that's what they are for. However, if there is any significant dirt on the surface, it may cause scratching. What "significant" means is for you to decide. For a quick detailer there are several that are good. Really, any of the ones Auto Geek sells are excellent. I like Prima Slick, Optimum Instant Detailer, and Zymol Finishing Glaze (not sold at AG).

However, for more protecting against scratching, more cleaning power, and a great shine, I reccomend getting some Ultima Waterless Wash concentrate. This will be the best 20 bucks you ever spent. It's very versitile, besides using it as a quick detailer, you can use it both as a waterless and rinseless wash. Which means it has special polymers that can safely remove "more dirt" than a quick detailer without causing scratches.

To even confuse the issue more, there are "spray waxes" or "wax boosters" which are very similar to the products above. The difference is, the are not designed to remove any dirt. They are for a perfectly clean car that has ussually been already waxed. They are used to boost the shine, remove fingerprints on a CLEAN car, boost the life of the wax, and can also be used as a drying aid. This is the category I buy the most "stuff" from. Some good ones are: Prima Hydro (my fav), Aquawax (forum fav), Optimum Spray Wax (can be used as a stand alone wax; may be tricky on dark colors), Meg's Ultimate Spray Wax, Chemical Guys V7, and Zymol Field Glaze.

Are they important? Well, your paint doesn't require them. You could get by without them. But, it's good to have at least one product like this for the reasons above. Ultima Waterless Wash is the most versitile, but adds little / no wax boost or protection. It does clean very well, doesnt streak, and leaves a nice shine.

TripleB
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
As far as an Interior Detailer Spray, is there one that just removes the dust and leaves the dash looking exactly as it is right now (ie: brand new)?

I used one on a Mustang I had once and it made everything way too shiny and also left it with a 'greasy/oily' feel.

Thanks.

TripleB

cleanmycorolla
08-20-2012, 03:38 PM
As far as an Interior Detailer Spray, is there one that just removes the dust and leaves the dash looking exactly as it is right now (ie: brand new)?

I used one on a Mustang I had once and it made everything way too shiny and also left it with a 'greasy/oily' feel.

Thanks.

TripleB

Theres many products that have level of shine, or levels of matte to them. Chemical guys has great interior detailers and cleaners, look into those.

0GTP4
08-20-2012, 03:51 PM
I use ultra touch spray wax from detail king (local detail supplier). The purpose behind it is what everybody else stated! It's very nice to keep in the trunk of your car with a microfiber or 2 for on the go. After you wash your car with the proper tools (no old shirts or bath towels). Dry the car with a hand squeegee and then a shammy or a big absorbent cloth (can't remember the name at the moment). Being that you have a BLACK brand new car there are several products made to clean specifically black vehicles and maintain the paint. Do your research and read descriptions before committing to a product. Most of the products out there are a personal preference. How YOU like the product. I would suggest keeping a coat of wax on the paint and spray wax to keep it clean. Everyday at lunch at work I pull my car in the shipping garage and quick wax or quick detail it. Keeps it clean and gives it a little boost of a shine.

Best of luck!!

Sent to you using TAPATALK