PDA

View Full Version : Drying Car - Which to Buy? Best product for Tires?

TripleB
08-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I've tried to research these forums to see what most people recommend for drying a car after washing. Many recommend the Cobra Guzzler Microfiber Towels. They do not have any in my area and it looks like they run about $25 for three of the smaller (16"x16") ones.

Here is what's readily available:
- Meguiars Supreme Shine Microfiber Cloths
- Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel
- Viking Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel
- Mothers Ultra Soft Microfiber Quick Detail Towel
- Carrand Microfiber MAX Supreme Deep Pie Fiber Drying Towel (http://www.amazon.com/Carrand-40059AS-Microfiber-Supreme-Drying/dp/B001JYQ7QC/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp)

Which of these do an amazing job of drying the car without damaging the paint?

Also, what's the best product to clean my tires and the best product to make them shine without doing any type of damage to the tires/wheels/paint/etc.? I'd prefer something that is readily available at local stores (WM/Tar) or through Amzn.com.

Thanks for any and all help.

TripleB

invested_detailing
08-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I've had good luck with LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Cleaner diluted 4:1. It doesn't contain any acids, bleach, or ammonia so it doesn't damage the wheels should some over spraying get on them. As far as a shine I like Meguiars Hot Shine Tire Spray. Both items (or a similar APC) should be available at Walmart. Walmart should also carry endurance tire gel which is a step up from the Hot Shine. The endurance tire gel either comes in a spray bottle or pour out bottle and with the pour out you need a tire swipe to apply it.

As far as drying goes most people will probably recommend a leaf blower or some type of air force master blaster. Any of the drying products you mentioned would be good but their virtually useless in getting water out of the side mirrors and in other areas where water can hide and accumulate. It's very frustrating to get a car completely dry and start polishing it or waxing it and have drops of water start coming out of the side mirror. Plus the major advantage of a leaf blower or master blaster is you touch the car less giving you less opportunity to scratch the paint. Because all it takes is one little hard spot on a microfiber drying towel to cause swirls and scratches if the towel isn't perfectly clean.

Sommy
08-19-2012, 04:45 PM
If you are open to using Amazon, why not Autogeek?

DaveT435
08-19-2012, 05:00 PM
:iagree:
You have to have it shipped either way. The customer service at AG is incredible! They are good enough to post so much instructional information...not to mention any question you could possibly have about detailing will get answered on this site. Then there is the fact that they price match!!
I can understand being in a jam and it's Sunday and you need something today...we've all been there...but if you can wait for Amazon you can wait for AG.

TripleB
08-19-2012, 05:12 PM

I haven't ordered from them before will definitely take a look there now. Thanks for the advice.

So when I order from them, which products should I purchase for the following:
- Car wash?
- Mitt for washing the car?
- Drying towel?
- Wheel cleaner?
- Drying towel for wheel?
- Other items?

Thanks!

TripleB

BobbyG
08-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Many detailing product bought through Amazon originate at Autogeek. Amazon is simply a conduit to purchase product from suppliers like Autogeek....

DaveT435
08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Several options for each. Wash there is waterless, rinse-less, or regular car wash. This is a great wash.
Optimum Car Wash Gallon: Concentrated auto shampoo with optimum suds to wash away grime from your car. (http://www.autogeek.net/opt200128.html)
This is the gallon size. It is available in a lot of sizes. They also offer samples of many products so you can try them before you buy a large quantity.
Drying towels I use these and they work great.
Cobra Supreme 530 Extra Large Microfiber Towel, large microfiber detailing towe, drying towel, micro fiber towels (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-supreme-530-xl-towel.html)
Hopefully Bobby will chime in soon. He's great with posting links. You have several options in all categories. If you type in what your looking for in the thread search you can usually find reviews and comparisons on the different products. Make sure and check theBuy one get one free section...lots of great deals there!!

Meticulous-Detail
08-19-2012, 07:22 PM
I haven't ordered from them before will definitely take a look there now. Thanks for the advice.

So when I order from them, which products should I purchase for the following:
- Car wash?
- Mitt for washing the car?
- Drying towel?
- Wheel cleaner?
- Drying towel for wheel?
- Other items?

Thanks!

TripleB

See post #4
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/53773-new-north-jersey-i-need-help.html

604_Snooze
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
I would wait for thanksgiving or christmas to get good discount and free shipping. Just use the Meguiar's line now.

Buckskincolt
08-19-2012, 08:47 PM
I would wait for thanksgiving or christmas to get good discount and free shipping. Just use the Meguiar's line now.
Really?
Why not wait for the fourth of July it might be a better sale?:dunno:

Bet there will be an awesome sale for labor day:props:

If you ask 100 people "what is best" you will get 75 different answers.

Look at the forum product reviews and you can get a lot of feed back on a bunch of different products. General questions like what is best are difficult to answer.

DaveT435
08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
really?
Why not wait for the fourth of july it might be a better sale?:dunno:

Bet there will be an awesome sale for labor day:props:

If you ask 100 people "what is best" you will get 75 different answers.

Look at the forum product reviews and you can get a lot of feed back on a bunch of different products. General questions like what is best are difficult to answer.
lmao