PDA

View Full Version : Some Buffing Questions about Tape

Pages : [1] 2

swanicyouth
08-19-2012, 09:54 AM
It seems every time I tape off panels ends to buff my car I have a problem with tape. First off, I'm using the green 3M Heavy Duty Painters Tape. When buffing or wiping, somehow glue from the tape is getting on the surface and it looks like scratches.

No matter how hard I try, it always seems somehow some glue from the tape gets caught up in my towels. Then I have to either change the towel or keep wiping off glue.

I'm wondering, is this a function of the tape I'm using or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue? I bought some of the blue 3M tape but haven't tried it yet.

DeadlySheds
08-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I feel your pain! I've tried everything aside from the Meguiars tape and always end up with tape glue everywhere. I use odorless mineral spirits for clean up, but it is super annoying none the less.

IID
08-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Adams makes a wonderful tape for detailing,maybe AG can get something similar.

swanicyouth
08-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I feel your pain! I've tried everything aside from the Meguiars tape and always end up with tape glue everywhere. I use odorless mineral spirits for clean up, but it is super annoying none the less.

I'm using this stuff called Rustoleum Wax and Grease Remover that blows Eraser away, especially with Optimum Polishes. I'm really disappointed in Eraser, unless it just performs poorly with Optimim Polishes. I mean, it's designed to remove residue after you polish, yet it seems to have no lubrication to it. Even when spraying a lot of Eraser on the spent polish, it still left a haze on the surface. The Rustoleum stuff cleans it right off, has lubrication in spades, and is less than half the price for a huge bottle. Anyway, I seem to remember the blue tape having less glue, so I'll try that. I don't want to order any Adams products, so that I won't try. Its almost like taping is more trouble than it's worth.

vetteswede
08-20-2012, 04:16 AM
I too find masking tape (i´ve used a blue one) to be a PITA! When you wipe off the glue and the built up residues against the edge of the tape, you will be most likely causing new micromaring.

TomG
08-20-2012, 04:57 AM
The painters tape seems to give me fewer issues, but there are still issues. Definitely better than the regular mask though.

swanicyouth
08-20-2012, 09:11 AM
I too find masking tape (i´ve used a blue one) to be a PITA! When you wipe off the glue and the built up residues against the edge of the tape, you will be most likely causing new micromaring.

Yes on that. I just polished my hood and around where the tape boogies were their are a few stray "lines" in the paint that are so fine they can only be seen under special lights and angles, and even then it's very hard. I'm not worried about them because the hood looks perfect and these few "lines" are almost impossible to spot.

Next time I'm skipping the tape. I used it because half my hood is clear bra'd and I was trying to avoid getting polish under the clear bra edge. However, I think it's easier just to be careful then have to deal with smearing tape boogies all over my paint causing possible fine marring. I'm still not sure how the glue is getting out from under the tape.

StuDLei
06-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Anybody else what to chime in on this?

Couple other questions--

How close do you tape your trim.... Say you have a piece of rubber molding you want to tape off. You throw some tape on it.. how far over the edge do you go? How much tape will be on the paint? Obviously you want to get it as close as possible but I have straight driven myself mad trying to get the tape to just barely cover moldings. Also, when you polish near a tape line, how close to the tape do you get. Do you let the edge of your pad creep over the tape a little or not?

I did a test spot today with my Flex and I'd be wiping up the tape marks and all of the sudden I would get some of that glue in the towel and it created what looked like scratches-- just like the thread starter explained. A huge PITA.

davey g-force
06-28-2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I sometimes get the same thing.

I think it's from when I let my pad hit the tape, but I find it hard not to.

greatwhitenorth
06-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I use 3m yellow tape, it seems to have much better durability than the green 3m stuff.

Red91Laredo
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM
What about using IPA to clean off the tape residue? Maybe a slightly higher concentration than you'd use for removing polishing residue if need be?

I'm also curious to hear if you guys let your pad touch the tape, or if you just get as close as possible to it without actually touching it. When I see people use tape in videos it seems like they buff over it slightly, because when they pull it off they have a nice straight line where they polished.

Kyle_Elantra
06-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Would a product like "Goo Gone" help?

I have to do somebody's headlights today and I will be using tape for the first time.

I didn't buy anything to help with removing the glue - it didn't even cross my mind.

This is my first "customer" and I don't want to leave glue behind or mar his paint cleaning it up.

StuDLei
07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
bump... any magicians out there want to chime in :)

Wheelzntoys
07-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Make sure you first tape on your clothes, remove and then use same tape on vehicle.

It removes some of the gumminess. I used Eraser but all along was thinking I needed something heavier on my last full detail.

Christopher.Brown
07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
What about using IPA to clean off the tape residue? Maybe a slightly higher concentration than you'd use for removing polishing residue if need be?

That will remove any LSP. But at any other stage FO SHO!

I'm also curious to hear if you guys let your pad touch the tape, or if you just get as close as possible to it without actually touching it. When I see people use tape in videos it seems like they buff over it slightly, because when they pull it off they have a nice straight line where they polished.

I usually try to overlap about 30% just to make sure the surface that boarders the tape is definitely covered.

Make sure you first tape on your clothes, remove and then use same tape on vehicle.

Thats a GREAT tip. :props: My pops was a general contractor and taught me so many little tips and tricks for prep.. this was one....:applause: