PDA

View Full Version : Interior Air Purging Pros & Cons

My Detailing Guys
08-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I've read on some website's as part of their service they include "air purging" the interior carpet, etc. I was wondering what are the thoughts of the AG members regarding the pros and cons of doing this step when detailing.

IMO the:

Pros - Speeds up the cleaning process.

Cons - Blows debris all over the interior,
- Need to wear a mask so you don't breathe this stuff,
- Debris is blown all over the customer's garage/ driveway.

Is there a technic you use to prevent dealing with the cons?

Thanks,
Greg

FUNX650
08-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I've read on some website's as part of their service they include "air purging"

Might just be a matter of semantics; but:

-The Owners/"Detail-Technicians" of these websites seem to incorporate a:
Marketing-architecture "Buzz Word"...that uses a different definition of "air-purging" than I'm accustomed.

Have to admit that "air-purging" may fall more acceptible to the ears than just saying:
"I'm gonna use compressed air to blow all the crap out of your vehicle's interior".

Also...None of my vehicles' cabins have OEM or aftermarket pressure relief valves for purging purposes. :D

Don't get me wrong...I certainly use compressed air for many detailing processes...
...Including blowing-out the cabin, and other vehicle-areas. When necessary...
...I'll detail/clean-up any messes that occur/accumalate outside of the vehicle (driveways, yards, etc.).

Proper usage of: Safety PPE is always highly recommended around compressed air/tools!

:)

Bob

My Detailing Guys
08-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I would think just giving the carpet a good vaccum throughout would be more efficient then having to take the time to clean up the mess caused by using the compressed air! You would still need to vaccum anyways. Just trying to see the benefits of using compressed air to clean the debris from the carpet.

Greg

rustytruck
08-19-2012, 07:59 PM
I always use the compressor on interiors. It is the very first thing we do on cars. I use it to blow out under and next to the seats and center console. I can't vacuum until i get all the dirt out of all the cracks and crevices and to a place the vacuum will reach.

I blow out every crevice in the car from door panels to dashboards. I see a lot of guys using tiny brushes and q tips when a blow tip on a compressor works better and faster.

habeba86
08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a compressor at work and not at thome......and a compressor is now #2 on my to buy list!

Silverstone
08-20-2012, 02:10 AM
Might just be a matter of semantics; but:

-The Owners/"Detail-Technicians" of these websites seem to incorporate a:
Marketing-architecture "Buzz Word"...that uses a different definition of "air-purging" than I'm accustomed.

Have to admit that "air-purging" may fall more acceptible to the ears than just saying:
"I'm gonna use compressed air to blow all the crap out of your vehicle's interior".

Also...None of my vehicles' cabins have OEM or aftermarket pressure relief valves for purging purposes. :D

Don't get me wrong...I certainly use compressed air for many detailing processes...
...Including blowing-out the cabin, and other vehicle-areas. When necessary...
...I'll detail/clean-up any messes that occur/accumalate outside of the vehicle (driveways, yards, etc.).

Proper usage of: Safety PPE is always highly recommended around compressed air/tools!

:)

Bob

I thought he was gonna put a vacuum hose in the window and suck all the air out. LOL

davidc
08-20-2012, 06:26 AM
I thought he was gonna put a vacuum hose in the window and suck all the air out. LOL

No that is the vacuum sealing and is quite expensive and time consuming.

Dave

FUNX650
08-20-2012, 07:11 AM

No that is the vacuum sealing and is quite expensive and time consuming.
Dave
^^^:iagree:^^^

Another added expense from vacuum-sealing a vehicle's cabin
may arise from having to don one of the below apparatus (SAR; SCBA)
until a vehicle's cabin area's oxygen level reaches ~21%!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/SAR.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48929)

NOTE...

Mustn't leave re-introducing (to the vehicle's cabin area)...

-the standard/normal atmospheric (often called barometric) pressure value of:
14.7 lbs/square inch---(101.3 kilopascals/1-atmosphere)...

...out of the equation.

-Surely it'd be catastrophic, if not so properly accomplished, for the unsuspecting soul.:eek:

:D

Bob