PDA

View Full Version : Tips for using a coating on a non metalic WHITE vehicle

mg6045
08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tips on coating a flat white vehicle. I plan on using Cquartz. I have never applied CQuartz on a full vehicle before and i'm looking for some tips on going about this on a car that is VERY difficult to see product residue on.

In the past I have used "dark room" polishing to spot defects on white paint, but for seeing product residue i'm not sure how to go about this. As seeing defects and seeing residue's are two different things.

Can anyone suggest what type of light sources I should use or any other tips that would help.

This is the only worry that has held me back from coating this car.

Am I overthinking this ? I decided I would want to use CQuartz because its a wipe on, let haze, then remove product. Rather then OPti-Coat, which from what I understand, you really have to have a good look for high spots, moreso than Cquartz.

I would prefer advice from members who have actually coated a white car, or car that is difficult to see residue on, rather than someone who has not done so and just "think" this or that may work.

let me know.

thanks ! :)

DaytonaJae
08-19-2012, 07:37 AM
I have a flat white car and have been hesitant to put opticoat on it for the very same reasons. I've tried to apply a wowo sealant before with disastrous results due to my inexperience with this type of application - hidden high spots everywhere being found for weeks. I'm interested to hear some more advice as well.

mg6045
08-19-2012, 07:39 AM
I have a flat white car and have been hesitant to put opticoat on it for the very same reasons. I've tried to apply a wowo sealant before with disastrous results due to my inexperience with this type of application - hidden high spots everywhere being found for weeks. I'm interested to hear some more advice as well.

I totally hear you. Learning WOWA sealants on a white car is a terrible idea ! Ask me how I found out ! :)

DaytonaJae
08-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I actually plan on doing Opticoat today on my white car, I can let you know how it goes after I am done :) If it goes horribly bad, I can always break out the M105 and my Flex to take it off lol...

Gurge
08-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I actually plan on doing Opticoat today on my white car, I can let you know how it goes after I am done :) If it goes horribly bad, I can always break out the M105 and my Flex to take it off lol...

if its only a couple high spots that have cured, before you go flex and 105 with it, try by hand with an mf applicator and 205 on just the spots you're concered with

let us know how it works out for you

Mike Phillips
08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Try reducing the light in your garage, even turning it off and then inspecting with a hand held source of light while looking at the paint at angles.

One of these might even work...

Brinkmann LED Headlamp 1 Watt (http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-led-headlamp.html)
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/brinkmann-headlamp-paint.jpg

:)

Mike Phillips
08-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Hello everyone,

which from what I understand, you really have to have a good look for high spots,

That's correct because after you make your final wipe you let it dry.

For anyone reading this, high spots means excess product or excess residue that tends to pile up at the end of a stroke or when you change the direction of your stroke.

:)

mg6045
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
thanks so much Mike, I appreciate the tips !