PDA

View Full Version : Im finishing with a ROTARY hologram free and I dont care what you say ;)

Pages : [1] 2 3

ShineTimeDetail
08-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Haha ok, so I've been using megs D151 a lot lately and I'm really liking it(other than it not lasting for crap). For the past 2-3 weeks each time I use it, I use my Makita. I usually use a white LC pad and it doesn't correct a whole ton but man does it look Sharp when I'm done! You get that real wet deep look.

So the last vehicle was my dads 98 F150 dark green. My process is apply at about 1200 rpm one pass, kick up to 2000 rpm 2 passes the kick down to about 1500 rpm one pass with light pressure.

I know his truck has metallic but I can assure you there are no holograms. I know holograms when I see them and man do I constantly look for them all the time....I was at a car show last weekend and I realized I didn't even look at what cars they were, all I was looking for was swirls and holograms lol

So lets argue! ;)

RoadRageDetail
08-18-2012, 11:29 PM
A hologram-free rotary finish is 100% possible.

But can I just say...

Pics or it didn't happen.

ShineTimeDetail
08-18-2012, 11:30 PM
A hologram-free rotary finish is 100% possible.

But can I just say...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Lol I could get pics tomorrow. Ill wash it and try to find my camera charger.

tuscarora dave
08-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Break out the IPA before you take photos. :argue:

:laughing:

ShineTimeDetail
08-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Break out the IPA before you take photos. :argue:

Lol well I had a thread about a month ago asking if it had fillers and everyone said no.

tuscarora dave
08-19-2012, 12:07 AM
Lol well I had a thread about a month ago asking if it had fillers and everyone said no.
I started a thread some time ago titled "Serving the masses" when I was struggling with the thought of the economics of auto detailing, and the thought of going to the quick production detailing process that most detail shops are doing. I asked what a good all in one polish would be with lots of fillers in it. A lot of folks directed me to D-151.

One guy says one thing and the next guys says another. After using D-151 a few times, I say it has fillers in it but not near as many fillers as any 3M product or Mothers Machine Glaze.

If I want to create a quick and cheap dealership showroom finish, I use D-151 or Mothers Machine Glaze. :argue:

ShineTimeDetail
08-19-2012, 12:23 AM
I started a thread some time ago titled "Serving the masses" when I was struggling with the thought of the economics of auto detailing, and the thought of going to the quick production detailing process that most detail shops are doing. I asked what a good all in one polish would be with lots of fillers in it. A lot of folks directed me to D-151.

One guy says one thing and the next guys says another. After using D-151 a few times, I say it has fillers in it but not near as many fillers as any 3M product or Mothers Machine Glaze.

If I want to create a quick and cheap dealership showroom finish, I use D-151 or Mothers Machine Glaze. :argue:

I guess well see with my dads truck.

tuscarora dave
08-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I guess well see with my dads truck.
I'm sure you know, I'm just having a little fun with these little guys:argue::argue::argue:

ShineTimeDetail
08-19-2012, 12:27 AM
Don't worry I know where you detail lol

truckbutt
08-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Dewalt 849X (Light to medium presure and constantly moving.)
LC Waffle White and Blue Pads
Meguiars M105 (2 spots on front bumber only.)
Menzerna SF 4000 Super Finish
3M Perfect It Ultrafine Polish
DG #105/601

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1517/IMG_0153thb.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1517/IMG_0152thb.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1517/IMG_0147thb.JPG

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1517/IMG_0151thb.JPG

BobbyG
08-19-2012, 06:31 AM
The only thing I can add to this is many prior to the advent of the dual action polisher finishes were pampered using only a rotary. While there were certainly some horror shows there were thousands polished to perfection....using only a rotary... :props:

truckbutt
08-19-2012, 06:59 AM
I think the popularity of the DA over rotary is due to two main factors:
1. Relatively easy to learn technique.
2. Low risk of doing damage to the paint.
With a DA virtually anyone can produce a good result, or at least not make things worse. With the rotary not so much.

mg6045
08-19-2012, 07:10 AM
D151 fills like crazy. You may want to strip the finish to inspect. Not saying you could not easily finish down with a rotary with proper products on a lot of paint's, but to come out and say you are doing so with a product that is known to fill is kinda ???

Vegas Transplant
08-19-2012, 07:18 AM
I have faith in your ability to polish hologram free. Stack that cheddar hand.:xyxthumbs:

One point being overlooked is the fact that a product does not need to have fillers in it to have filling characteristics according to the process used. Think GPS - which has no fillers.

According to ShineTime, his process (final polish step) is similar to that described in the marketing of GPS.

The glaze aspect of GPS can have a filling effect when applied by hand or not worked long with a buffer. It produces a high gloss, wet-looking shine.

Optimum GPS Glaze Polish Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-gps.html)

ShineTimeDetail
08-19-2012, 08:54 AM
D151 fills like crazy. You may want to strip the finish to inspect. Not saying you could not easily finish down with a rotary with proper products on a lot of paint's, but to come out and say you are doing so with a product that is known to fill is kinda ???

If it fills like crazy then I am wrong. I posted s thread a month or so ago asking if it had fillers. From what I got was no. After just rereading it there was some talk about some ingredients but not sure if they thought they were fillers. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52934-d151-have-fillers-i-got-hologram-free-finish-rotary.html

Hey, if it has fillers then I most likely am not finishing hologram free.